2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

The dealership I purchased it at would take it but not for 8-10 weeks. The dealership 1 mile from my work told me no bc I didn’t buy it from them. It is still under factory warrant and I have a ford extended warranty. I reported it to the 800 number but was told bc dealerships are private owned they can make their own rules .
Welcome to the Forum Katie. :wave:
It is true that dealerships are independently owned but they still represent Ford and refusing to help a customer would not reflect positively on not only the dealership but Ford in general. Issues that might cause this are a bad or failing battery or a wheel speed sensor which has come up a few times lately. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this thread is getting old, but anyone experiencing the 4WD Fault code U0102, along with U0418 Brake system control module while out of basic warranty but still under powertrain warranty? My 2020 XLT just started doing this at 33 months and 46,000 miles

Hi Michael. Not being a mechanic I rely on other sources at times for info. You may have also already done that.
In some cases it seems a faulty wheel speed sensor was to blame.
Good luck and please keep us in the loop.

Peter

Hi Michael. Not being a mechanic I rely on other sources at times for info. You may have also already done that.
In some cases it seems a faulty wheel speed sensor was to blame.
Good luck and please keep us in the loop.

Peter
9CA406E1-5502-4A43-92A3-D103CC850E25.jpeg

Looks like mine has different codes, but we will see in a week or two when I bringing it in, and I’ll keep everyone informed

601668D8-7E66-4353-8774-C246F9E727F4.jpeg

View attachment 442475
Looks like mine has different codes, but we will see in a week or two when I bringing it in, and I’ll keep everyone informed

View attachment 442476
So i got the Explorer back from the dealer for the 4WD warning. Was not covered under the powertrain warranty, and from what they told me the control module was located under the front seats, so they had to be removed for service.
I welcome all comments as I’m trying to learn more about this system.

8EA83D5C-425D-4A29-ABE1-7621FA25EB72.jpeg

I'm not sure what that module does or is called officially MIchael, but there is a "Powertrain Control Module" listed as being part of the powertrain warranty.
Whether that is the module is the question. Also, the FordParts site shows the cost as being $444.44. Levittown Ford cost is $236.
At least you now have 2 year warranty on it.

Peter

So i got the Explorer back from the dealer for the 4WD warning. Was not covered under the powertrain warranty, and from what they told me the control module was located under the front seats, so they had to be removed for service.
I welcome all comments as I’m trying to learn more about this system.

View attachment 443044
How is an AWD component not part of the "powertrain"?
And geez<
$236 for the part.

I know this thread is getting old, but anyone experiencing the 4WD Fault code U0102, along with U0418 Brake system control module while out of basic warranty but still under powertrain warranty? My 2020 XLT just started doing this at 33 months and 46,000 miles
Just repaired an issue with same code symptoms. Codes U0102, U0146, and U011D in ABS module. U0100 in IPC, U0418 in IPM-A, and U0140 in RGTM. AWD module was offline. Couldn't communicate with it with scan tool. Found module didn't have ground at connector of AWD module, as the ground wire had broken inside the harness underneath the seat. AWD module is underneath driver's seat under the carpet. Had to run a new ground wire to the connector. Ground wire is black with gray stripe (Looks more like a white stripe than gray). Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue!

Just repaired an issue with same code symptoms. Codes U0102, U0146, and U011D in ABS module. U0100 in IPC, U0418 in IPM-A, and U0140 in RGTM. AWD module was offline. Couldn't communicate with it with scan tool. Found module didn't have ground at connector of AWD module, as the ground wire had broken inside the harness underneath the seat. AWD module is underneath driver's seat under the carpet. Had to run a new ground wire to the connector. Ground wire is black with gray stripe (Looks more like a white stripe than gray). Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
What year and trim Explorer was this done on? I'm guessing it wasn't your 2023 Outback.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
What year and trim Explorer was this done on? I'm guessing it wasn't your 2023 Outback.

Peter
2020 Ford Explorer ST at around 45k miles

2020 Ford Explorer ST at around 45k miles
Right about when my XLT triggered the warnings. I’m gonna be mighty mad if I ever find out they just repaired the ground wire and didn’t replace what they claimed to.

I had the multiple errors but it went away the next day. I ordered a new front axle shaft speed sensor anyways. Sure enough, a month and a half later, now getting AWD error that does not go away. Forscan diagnostics has a code (C0633) for the front half shaft speed sensor. The speed sensor is not hard to remove and replace, taking about 45 min. You will need to remove the rectangular undercarriage cover. The speed sensor is on the passenger side. Once you remove the sensor, differential oil will start pouring out. If you don't want to go through the hassle of topping off the oil, I would plan on removing the old sensor and immediately plugging in the new one with minimal loss of oil. So to get the new sensor ready to install: remove the wiring connector and place on the new sensor--this will prevent the connector getting contaminated with oil. Lube the new sensor o-ring with the appropriate oil. Now you can remove and replace the speed sensor--be sure to keep the mating plate in the same spot and orientation.

ford_explorer_removal_and_installation_front_halfshaft_speed_sensor-515.html
I am now getting this issue, but my 2020 is out of warranty. Have ordered the speed sensor, and expect to install it this weekend. Will i need the Forscan tool to reset or delete the codes after the sensor is installed, or will the system reset once i cycle the ignition and recognize that it now has a working sensor?

I don't have the Forscan tool, but will purchase it if needed. My existing OBDII reader will not pick up the codes.
Also - if i buy the Forscan adapter, do i need to buy other software, or does the adapter come with what is needed to use my laptop?
Thanks in advance,

Rob

I am now getting this issue, but my 2020 is out of warranty. Have ordered the speed sensor, and expect to install it this weekend. Will i need the Forscan tool to reset or delete the codes after the sensor is installed, or will the system reset once i cycle the ignition and recognize that it now has a working sensor?

I don't have the Forscan tool, but will purchase it if needed. My existing OBDII reader will not pick up the codes.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
The problem with replacing the speed sensor without getting the error code is that the AWD module failing may present similarly. In any case, with new sensor, my car did not display any malfunction on the dash. I would guess that the code is still stored until it is cleared, even if the problem is rectified.

also - if i buy the Forscan adapter, do i need to buy other software, or does the adapter come with what is needed to use my laptop?
The software is free. If you have the adapter you should be good.

I’m curious to hear how you make out, good luck and please update the results

I would have thought bad or low battery for these symptoms. But $1500 repair, OUCH!

So for the 5th time my 2020 ST has lit up like a Christmas tree when getting off of the highway. Warning lights come all at once: 4WD Fault Service Required, Service AdvanceTrac, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available, +Hill assist not available + Auto Hold Fault.

Warning lights immediately disappear when the car is restarted, and the car is not thrown into a limp mode when these issues come on.

I did some searching and the only experience I could find of something similar was on reddit and the car ended up getting lemoned without any specific root cause explained.

Going to call the dealer on Monday, but please reach out if you have had a similar experience or know someone that has!
Are you willing to give the name of the dealership that helped you? I am having the same issue and Syracuse is about an hour from me.

I just had the 4wd Fault today. I made an appointment for tomorrow and taking it in. I have a FordProtect ESP with rental and also stil lunder Powertrain Warranty at 41K miles.

I just had the 4wd Fault today. I made an appointment for tomorrow and taking it in. I have a FordProtect ESP with rental and also stil lunder Powertrain Warranty at 41K miles.
I am looking forward to hearing what they tell you,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back