2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

Mine is through Portfolio and ties me to this particular dealer. I got hosed! Looking into canceling it and getting my money back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is through Portfolio and ties me to this particular dealer. I got hosed! Looking into canceling it and getting my money back.
3rd party extended warranties are usually not the best ones to get. It's been mentioned here many times.

Peter

Does anyone know what the part number is for the AWD module? I've tried searching on Google and at the Ford parts site but I'm not coming up with anything. Is there another name for it?

Are you willing to give the name of the dealership that helped you? I am having the same issue and Syracuse is about an hour from me.
Same exact issue, 2020 lincoln aviator. It's that half shaft sensor thing. I know because this is my 3rd lincoln.. they all did it conveniently around the time factory warranty expired. Dash light up like the Griswolds house on Christmas & goes out once restarted. Problem is, it doesn't store the code. It took them a couple months to find the issue, because it would restore itself on restart. I waiting till it lit up & took it to catch the code. That was my first Lincoln. Every one after same thing. I've always had to pay for it. Why isn't it covered under powertrain, being its a sensor for awd ?

Same exact issue, 2020 lincoln aviator. It's that half shaft sensor thing. I know because this is my 3rd lincoln.. they all did it conveniently around the time factory warranty expired. Dash light up like the Griswolds house on Christmas & goes out once restarted. Problem is, it doesn't store the code. It took them a couple months to find the issue, because it would restore itself on restart. I waiting till it lit up & took it to catch the code. That was my first Lincoln. Every one after same thing. I've always had to pay for it. Why isn't it covered under powertrain, being its a sensor for awd ?
Mine was covered under powertrain warranty at about 42,000 miles on my 2020 ST.

They wouldn't cover mine. I took it in to finally get the new module installed. I went to pick it up and as soon as I started it, all the faults came right back up! Took it back in and they now say it's a shaft or something. They said the vehicle is drivable so I got it back. While they had it I asked them to do the transmission service. Now it's slipping from 1st to 2nd! WTF!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Any chance of oil spilling on sensor when oil filter is changed .....Dealer changed oil Saturday This morning multiple warnings

Powertrain AWD
Hill assits
Pre collision

Lastly WTF is wrong Now?

Almost forgot to mention while this was happening I plugged in my phone and call dealer they could see the the warnings with descriptions and said it appeared a module ( forgot which) lost communications. Without plugging into the vehicle ......

Wheel speed sensor? :dunno:

Peter

AWD module failure and speed sensor failure both will show about the same error messages on the dash but the codes stored are different. If your dealer is saying a module lost communication, chances are your AWD module is shot. In any case, I would encourage any owners to get a Forscan setup for diagnostic purposes. Pretty indispensible! I have the OBDLink MX+ bluetooth dongle and keep it in the car. I use it with the Forscan Lite app on my iPhone. Halft shaft speed sensor will show code C0633 and/or C00A6:07. It is located on the front differential. Common failure in MY2020s.

Appreciate the replies! I've used Forscan since 2020 and have purchased the yearly linceses each year. I also understand the Forscan.org site is hosted in Russisa and I'm concerned about giving them access to my vehicle . In fact after I update the Forscan software I Block all traffic too and from Russia along with many other countries via my gateway.

I've had so many problems with my 2021 I only use Forscan when have no other option. In the monthly vehicle report from ford it mentions using devices to read the vehicle as forscan does can void a warranty in a friendly way or suggest you are liable for damages.

Took vehicle to Dealer again today and will update when I get it back
IMG_2302.PNG

LET's Go Ford!

Front Axle was replaced and they even delivered it to my home and picked up the wife's Fusion Titanium AWD for oil change.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Module Lost Communication Issue
23-2061

24 February 2023

Issue: Some 2020 Explorer All-wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles built from 7-Sep-2019 to 9-Dec-2021 and 2020-2021 Escape AWD vehicles built from 6-Jun-2019 to 29-Jul-2021 may experience a "powertrain failure warning", "AWD failure requiring repair", "collision assist warning unavailable", "repair electronic stability control ESC" message displayed in the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), AWD module lost communication issue. This may cause abnormal functions when using the AWD function.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition if the vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
• 2020 Explorer AWD vehicles built from 7-Sep-2019 to 9-Dec-2021.
• 2020-2021 Escape AWD vehicles built from 6-Jun-2019 to 29-Jul-2021.
• "Powertrain failure warning" or "AWD failure requiring repair" or "Collision assist warning unavailable" or "Repair electronic stability control ESC" fault message displayed in the IPC.
• Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) U0102, U011D, U0146, U0418, U041E, U0100, P0562 and/or other related DTCs.

NOTE: This TSB does not apply to DTC C0095 and C00A6 issues.

Attachments

• TSB_23-2061.pdf
    802.1 KB · Views: 199

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Module Lost Communication Issue
23-2061

24 February 2023

Issue: Some 2020 Explorer All-wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles built from 7-Sep-2019 to 9-Dec-2021 and 2020-2021 Escape AWD vehicles built from 6-Jun-2019 to 29-Jul-2021 may experience a "powertrain failure warning", "AWD failure requiring repair", "collision assist warning unavailable", "repair electronic stability control ESC" message displayed in the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), AWD module lost communication issue. This may cause abnormal functions when using the AWD function.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition if the vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
• 2020 Explorer AWD vehicles built from 7-Sep-2019 to 9-Dec-2021.
• 2020-2021 Escape AWD vehicles built from 6-Jun-2019 to 29-Jul-2021.
• "Powertrain failure warning" or "AWD failure requiring repair" or "Collision assist warning unavailable" or "Repair electronic stability control ESC" fault message displayed in the IPC.
• Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) U0102, U011D, U0146, U0418, U041E, U0100, P0562 and/or other related DTCs.

NOTE: This TSB does not apply to DTC C0095 and C00A6 issues.
Thanks for the reply...

I wish Ford did a better Job sorting the TSB's on thier public site. I've spent days sorting through it...I actually printed several and handed them to service which lead to the Trans Valve body being replaced @ 12,000 miles last March. The dealers love to say no codes were found we reset the trans.....I found a TSB which said no codes required if customer has a history and still shifts rough. Upon further invetisgating dealer replaced valve body.

Let's Go Ford

They wouldn't cover mine. I took it in to finally get the new module installed. I went to pick it up and as soon as I started it, all the faults came right back up! Took it back in and they now say it's a shaft or something. They said the vehicle is drivable so I got it back. While they had it I asked them to do the transmission service. Now it's slipping from 1st to 2nd! WTF!

What is the latest on this?

I got the AWD module squared away but they said there was another issue with the rear differential that is covered under a recall. They said the car was drivable and couldn't find any problem with the transmission. Well about a week later the transmission **** the bed. I've been fighting with them over it because they say Ford doesn't want to cover it. The service manager said the Ford is giving them a hard time covering it because I either have a tune or because I used FORScan to manipulate changes to the vehicle. He told me there were only 7 key cycles since the last reset and Ford can see that remotely. I told him I only drove the vehicle a handful of times because he said there was something wrong with the rearend but he didn't buy it. He said that Ford sees everything they see and can see even more if they suspect something. At present I'm still waiting to hear whether they are going to cover it or if I have to eat the costs.

I got the AWD module squared away but they said there was another issue with the rear differential that is covered under a recall. They said the car was drivable and couldn't find any problem with the transmission. Well about a week later the transmission **** the bed. I've been fighting with them over it because they say Ford doesn't want to cover it. The service manager said the Ford is giving them a hard time covering it because I either have a tune or because I used FORScan to manipulate changes to the vehicle. He told me there were only 7 key cycles since the last reset and Ford can see that remotely. I told him I only drove the vehicle a handful of times because he said there was something wrong with the rearend but he didn't buy it. He said that Ford sees everything they see and can see even more if they suspect something. At present I'm still waiting to hear whether they are going to cover it or if I have to eat the costs.

Sorry to hear about this. Please let us know how it turns out.

AWD module failure and speed sensor failure both will show about the same error messages on the dash but the codes stored are different. If your dealer is saying a module lost communication, chances are your AWD module is shot. In any case, I would encourage any owners to get a Forscan setup for diagnostic purposes. Pretty indispensible! I have the OBDLink MX+ bluetooth dongle and keep it in the car. I use it with the Forscan Lite app on my iPhone. Halft shaft speed sensor will show code C0633 and/or C00A6:07. It is located on the front differential. Common failure in MY2020s.
If Forscan ever adds the option to disable Auto Parking I'll consider using it again. Until then I don't trust any thing being hosted in Russia especially giving them access to my vehicle.The Forscan.org site is hosted in Russia.

If Forscan ever adds the option to disable Auto Parking I'll consider using it again. Until then I don't trust any thing being hosted in Russia especially giving them access to my vehicle.The Forscan.org site is hosted in Russia.

I'm curious as to why you want it locked out. I don't even remember it's there and have never used it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no problems with Russians. I even work with a few. Their leaders suck, not the people.

Back