2021 Roof Crossbars for Yakima Skybox 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Roof Crossbars for Yakima Skybox 18

TCavins

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
I'm looking at getting the Skybox 18 for car trips. New 2021 Explorer has the roof rails but not crossbars.

Would the following direct from Ford be sufficient? They seem to be the cheapest option. Another one is Thule kit but is $150 more at $439.
  • EXPLORER 2020-2021 CLAMP ON CROSS BARS 2PC SET

Any other recommendations for crossbars for this vehicle that would work with a Yakima Skybox?

Thanks,
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recommend that you get after markets cross bars. They will be able to hold more weight.

I bought all Rhino Rack for my roof set up.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm looking at getting the Skybox 18 for car trips. New 2021 Explorer has the roof rails but not crossbars.
Would the following direct from Ford be sufficient? They seem to be the cheapest option. Another one is Thule kit but is $150 more at $439.
  • EXPLORER 2020-2021 CLAMP ON CROSS BARS 2PC SET
Any other recommendations for crossbars for this vehicle that would work with a Yakima Skybox?

Thanks,
Tim
Welcome to the Forum Tim. :wave:
Just FYI.
1635968021436.png

I believe this has more to do with vehicle stability than the ability to support extra weight.

Peter

I thought lesser roof cargo weight limit for sunroof models was due to roof flex causing the glass sunroof panels to break.

Went with after market Yakima Timberline Core bars. This way, if needed, I can transfer to another vehicle regardless if it’s a Ford or not.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I thought lesser roof cargo weight limit for sunroof models was due to roof flex causing the glass sunroof panels to break.
The lesser weight for those with the moonroof takes into account the extra weight of the glass panels themselves. The weight of what is loaded onto the crossbars is distributed along the sides of the roof where the rails are, not the center.

Peter

I've been looking to rack my ride for awhile now. Pioneer system vs. load bars and basket.... Can't make up my mind!! I wanna use my old load bars but they're too short and non-compatible .. Thinking about wind noise also....:rolleyes:

Back