2022 Explorer Timberline Rear Struts Bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Explorer Timberline Rear Struts Bad

TrierV

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Timberline
My 2022 Explorer Timberline with less than 10,000 miles is needing to have the rear struts replaced. I've never taken it off road and with the amount of miles I've put on it you can tell she isn't driven hard, there is no reason the rear struts should need to be replaced. When I asked the question as to why this happened, the dealership just shrugs their shoulders and says it's a part, sometimes they go bad. Has anyone else had issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2022 Explorer Timberline with less than 10,000 miles is needing to have the rear struts replaced. I've never taken it off road and with the amount of miles I've put on it you can tell she isn't driven hard, there is no reason the rear struts should need to be replaced. When I asked the question as to why this happened, the dealership just shrugs their shoulders and says it's a part, sometimes they go bad. Has anyone else had issues?
Yes it is luck of the draw. In the ST community it is 50/50 have done bad others have been perfectly fine.

Yes it is luck of the draw. In the ST community it is 50/50 have done bad others have been perfectly fine.
I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end where she'll be at the mechanics more than in my garage. Our 2019 Ranger has been a champ, no issues at all, it's one of the main reasons I opted for the Explorer instead of another BMW X5...now I'm second guessing myself.

Motorcraft rear shocks seem to leak oil. For many, it's dripping oil. On mine currently, it's more like sweat. Either way, you are going to have diminished performance.

I wonder why Bilstein has replacement struts/shocks for the 5th gen but not the 6th gen. There certainly are plenty of 2020+ Explorers sold and many need new shocks and struts. I've already replace mine at 60k miles and not happy with the diminished ride quality after 20k miles on the replacement Motorcraft struts and shocks.

I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end where she'll be at the mechanics more than in my garage. Our 2019 Ranger has been a champ, no issues at all, it's one of the main reasons I opted for the Explorer instead of another BMW X5...now I'm second guessing myself.
No you’ll be fine. Struts aren’t going to signify what will happen in the future. We also have a completely trouble free explorer and had the struts replaced once.

Left rear was leaking on our 2022 XLT @ 24,000 miles. Was replaced by Ford under warranty. I believe it's poor-quality parts. The 2013 we had before never had this issue.

Left rear was leaking on our 2022 XLT @ 24,000 miles. Was replaced by Ford under warranty. I believe it's poor-quality parts. The 2013 we had before never had this issue.
Wow must have had a good dealer that worded that warranty form very nicely to cover a wear item.

Wow must have had a good dealer that worded that warranty form very nicely to cover a wear item.
Fortunately, shocks are covered under the warranty from Ford. This type of replacement falls under the three-year, 36,000-mile basic bumper-to-bumper warranty that comes with all new Ford vehicles. Since your car is only two years old, as long as your car has less than 36,000 miles on it, Ford will replace the shocks at no cost to you.

Fortunately, shocks are covered under the warranty from Ford. This type of replacement falls under the three-year, 36,000-mile basic bumper-to-bumper warranty that comes with all new Ford vehicles. Since your car is only two years old, as long as your car has less than 36,000 miles on it, Ford will replace the shocks at no cost to you.
I checked after reading 2020FordRaptor's post and unless I missed it, there is no mention of any suspension parts being covered in the Warranty Guide. That said, I'm guessing the work was done under the following;
"Ford Motor Company dealers will, without charge, repair, replace, or adjust all parts on your vehicle that malfunction or fail during normal use during the applicable coverage period due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship."

Peter

Even replacement Motorcraft rear shocks have a 2 year warranty if you buy the parts yourself.

what?? all suspension parts are covered under the 3yr/36k. Nothing to do with "wear items"

what?? all suspension parts are covered under the 3yr/36k. Nothing to do with "wear items"
Wear items like brake pads, tires, struts, etc. could not be covered. Multiple people on the ST forum have gone through this process, including me, and even after calling every Ford rep even they wouldn’t cover it. That is what I know, but if something has changed then I must’ve missed it.

Wear items like brake pads, tires, struts, etc. could not be covered. Multiple people on the ST forum have gone through this process, including me, and even after calling every Ford rep even they wouldn’t cover it. That is what I know, but if something has changed then I must’ve missed it.
I think the quote in my post #10 likely covered it.

Peter

It has always been difficult to get tires warranted however Ford has the following warranty on tires.

MILES DRIVEN
1-12,000 - 100% covered
12,001-24,000 - 60% covered
24,001-36,000 - 30% covered

Brake pads are a wear item as you said and are covered for 1yr/18,000 miles. Struts/Shocks etc are covered under the 3yr/36k warranty. Struts are not considered a wear item. Only wear items have a reduced warranty period.

Wear items are as followed:

Maintenance/Wear
• clutch linings
• oil changes
• oils, lubricants, other fluids
• oil/air filters
• tire rotation/inflation
• cleaning/polishing
* Ford will replace or adjust certain maintenance items when necessary, free of charge during a limited period:
  • Wiper blade replacements will be provided during the first six months
    in service, regardless of miles driven.
  • Wheel alignments and tire balancing will be provided during the first 12 months or 12,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.
  • Brake pad/lining replacements will be provided during the first 12 months or 18,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.

Back