• Register Today It's free!

2wd problem with boat today

haktmal

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV
Well I have 3.27 Open and when I pull my boat off the ramp today, the back tires get wet and it spins on the sand. I believe both tires spin at the same time. I had the Explorer on 1st gear and I snap it to pull up. I was able to pull the boat up but I smell a lot of smoke from my tranny. I don't know is it from the tires or not. After that, I can't shift into gear anymore. Not even 1st gear. I park there for a while and try to force it to first gear, it went in. But I know there is something wrong.

Now my first gear doesn't pull as hard. When I go up on a hill and stopped at a STOP sign and put it in 1st gear, it doesn't pull and drive. It feels like I'm reving in Neutral. I was so scared. Did I 'effed my tranny or gear? :(

I was able to tow the boat home though. I ease it up on the first gear and get on the freeway to get it home. Phewww! I was so white when I smell that funky smell from the tranny/tires.

Now, I'm thinking to put 31s and 4.10 and probably a Powertrax No Slip in the Explorer. Do you think I won't get this kind of problem.

Please don't laugh at me and pardon my novice on the Explorer. I have very little experience in towing and off-roading.

Please give me suggestions. Thanks a lot! :)

The smoke was probably from the tires if they were spinning. However, sounds like either your linkage or torque converter are messed up, and check the fluid condition of both the diff and tranny. Did your driveline go into the water any?

Pulling out boats is one reason people get front hitches, so your drive wheels stay away from the water. Next time you can also try using the boat's power to help push you out.

Back