3 lights to one switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 lights to one switch?

i have 3 hella 500 driving lights and am putting them all on a westin safari bar. i already have two on the bar that are wired and dont want to run another switch for the third. how can i wire the third to the same switch? is it possible. BTW i have the switch and wires that came with the hellas. thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd put the third light on a second relay and power supply, but you can run the switch wire to the same switch.

I didn't use a relay when i ran the first two Hellas so my switch doesn't light up when the lights are on. So i only have one relay and that is from the new pair that i bought. and what do you mean by a second power supply?

All lights should be on relays. And usually relays are only meant for 2 55W lights, so you should have 2 relays for 3 lights. I meant second power supply as in a separate power wire from the battery.

ok but seeing as how i only have one relay how should i go about doing this? alec i dont mean to be a pain but can you sort of draw something up so i can print it out and look at it? i would greatly appreciate it. please take into consideration that i only have one relay.

yup, what alec said. Relays really should be required when working with lighting, its just the safest way to go, especially with higher wattage lights. So here's how I would hook up your setup...
get two relays, 30 ampers. If you can find one with two power outs and one with one power out that would cool, otherwise you can just terminate the second jumper. Anyways run two seperate wires (one for each relay) from the battery to each relay. Ground each relay. run the power from the relay to the lights (one relay will have two lights hooked up to it and one relay will have one light hooked up to it), then take the two wires from the relay that go to the switch and splice them together. Run that wire to your switch. Then hook up your switch accordingly with your hot power source and ground (if its a lit switch), and you should be good to go :).

I would do it a little different.
Take the new wireing set and hook it up per the instructions w/relay. Just splice the other lamp into the system anywhere convienent. Probably on the lightbar.
A 30 amp relay will do up to 360 watts and if yours are 55 each you will be fine.
You'll also get the lighted switch.

what if i just spliced into one of the already existing wires i have run and just not have the relay. wouldn't that work also? i am going to try it and see what happens. thanks kemp.

You have to run a relay if you DO NOT want the following:

1. Your truck to start on fire from a faulty wire melting and arcing
2. Fuses blowing
3. Ability to change lights or upgrade to higher power ones
4. Battery to die from leaving lights on (need connection to fuse box)

Here is a schematic of some Reverse lights that are connected to the reverse lead wire. Just leave out the 3 pos switch and the wires from the reverse and it should help a bit.

Attachments

• wiring schematic.jpg
    wiring schematic.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 295

Just tap into the fuse box by pushing the tabs in with a standard screwdriver. Then find a red wire (this is hot when ignition is on) and splice into that. Then that is what will power the stitch which in turn switches the relay which will take power from the battery through the relay to the lights. Volia!!

Attachments

• p1010022.jpg
    p1010022.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 259

not using a relay with high powered accessories, especially lights, is plain and simply stupid.

I have not read all of the posts so if I repeat anything already said, Sorry Bout Dat!

99EXP,

If I read you correct you have two lights already in place and want to install one more.

OK, check the wattage of the first two lights and the wattage of the third light, also check the amp rating of the relay you now have installed.

Let say they are all 55 watts so that is 165 watts, divide that by 12 volts and you have... a drum roll please, 13.75 amp draw.

If the relay has an amp rating of twice that then you can wire the third light to the existing relay.

Problem - there is always a catch - the wire going to the lights has to be at least 12-gauge wire to handle the amperage you need.

Now remember we are assuming the lights are 55 watts each and not the 150 watts versions. If they are the 150-watt versions then you will need an additional relay and larger wire.

Two 150 watt lights = 300 watts of light divided by 12 volts = 25 amps. 10-gauge wire and a 30 amp rated relay are just barely enough. NO SAFETY FACTOR !!!
Not as easy as you thought, huh!

Get a list of all of the ratings of the lights, relay, and wire size you now have and let us know; then the forum can make a good suggestion.

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Back