30x9.5 recommendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

30x9.5 recommendations

I'd like to put 30x9.5x15 tires on my non lifted '94 4x4 on the stock rims. I've heard this size won't rub but how will the ride be with the 7" wide rims? I don't do any off-roading, there may be some snow this winter, but it rains a lot here in Seattle... maybe an "All-Season" tire would be better than an "All-Terrain" tire in my case?

Anyway, looking at tirerack.com the Yokohama Geolandar A/T Plus II ranked well (2nd to the Bridgestone Revo) and are just $77/each. For about $40 more a set the Pirelli Scorpion A/T and Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 are options and at $110 more for four comes the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo and BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO. I've heard good things about the Revo's and T/A KO's, but they're probably more than what I want to spend.

BTW, I have these running boards/fender flares that extend the length of the truck. I don't know if they're an option from Ford or if they're aftermarket. Do you think they will rub against a 30" tire? Pics at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=78389

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scorpions

I have 30x9.5 scorpions that I beat on hard offroad fairly often and they have held up well. They get great traction on wet streets too.

oops forgot, NO 30' S wont rub. Some X's can run 31" without rubbing.

Okay first off, I have the Yokohamas. I like them but they are soft! I don't like to rotate my tires very often but with these I have to all the time. They were wearing funny up front and I decided it was because of lack of rotation. (Like every 6-9,000 miles) I am guessing with these I will have to rotate them at least every oil change. They ride nice, no road noise, soft for better on road traction. I beat the heck out of them because I live on a dirt road. (Probably part of the reason they wear fast and funny?) I only have 15,000 miles on them and I don't expect to get more than 20,000 miles from them. I am used to getting twice that with BFG's. Anyway If I where you I would go with the BFG A/T KO's. There are a ton of people on here that are running those. I will be getting some of those when I wear my Yokohamas out, which won't be too much longer. Also the BFG's will last far longer than the Yokohamas. Okay, as far as the size I am running 30x9.50's right now. No rub. I plan on getting 31's this summer sometime. I am not worried that they will rub much. Looking at the pictures of your Explorer I would say they won't rub at all with the running boards. Hope some of this info makes sense and helps you out with your decision.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm curious, I just had an alignment done yesterday, will I need another when I get the bigger tires? I'm going from 235/75/15 to the 30's. I need to go back to the shop next weekend to get a new bushing (they didn't have the right sized one there) which would be a good time for me to get the tires balanced/mounted.

Sonik, you shouldn't need to get a new alignment with the bigger tires. In fact if I rememember right 30x9.50's are only an inch or so bigger than the stock 235/75/15 tires.

Sonik, here's my x with the 30's at stock height. As you can see there is still plenty of room in the wheel well.

Ted

14802before-med.jpg

i am running goodyear GSAs and they seem to do pretty good for me. most of my driving is on-road, i rarely have a chance to go off-road. when i do my lift, i will be looking foir a more ggressive tire, probably BFG TA/KOs. these tires were on the truck when i bought it at 79k and it now has 95k. i could easiily get another 10k out of them but that would put me bald in the middle of winter in michigan, so i will be upgrading as soon as i finish my lift.

might i ask one question, if you are lifting, why only go with 30x9.5? like it has been said, on first gens, some can fit 31s with no rub. check this link: lifts ans max tire sizes

also, you will find a guy selling some fairly new BFGs 303x9.5 here

BTW, this is a pic of my truck at stock height, same rims you have and with 30x9.5s...notice mny rear end sags a little because of all the stuff i keep in back, but there is NO rubbing. as far ar conserns, it is recommended that you get a tire no wider than 4 inches from your rim (ie 15x7, up to 11 in wide tires) many people on here run 31x10.5 with no problem and i have seen some run bigger, so you will have no problems.

ex.jpg

I don't plan on lifting it. I would like to get 31x10.5 under there, but I don't want to deal with potential rubbing. On that chart they use 15x8 rims, and I think the tire would bulge more on the stock 15x7's.

sorry bout that...on your first post, i saw the word liftes but didnt see the word non. anyways, 30x9.5s on stock 15x7 rims is fine at stock height, no worries. you probably have 235/75s now which are about 29".

Anyone ever used 265/70-15? It's as tall as a 30" tire but a little narrower than a 10.5" wide tire.. so about a 30x10.25. It's not too popular, but there are Bridgestone Dueler Revo's in that size.

Back