34 pin connector C139 - 2013 sport. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

34 pin connector C139 - 2013 sport.

gday

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport +402A
Callsign
VK2XOC
The main connector on the main engine harness of my 2013 sport is messed up from battery acid (lovely place to put a major connector). Have problems with many pins / wires. One pic I’ve attached is a sample pic of my actual connector and “broken” wires. Even if I wanted to replace the whole harness, which would be a *****, its “no longer available” and I have no desire to mess with a used one – which is sort of moot since I can’t find one. My current plan is to de-pin my correct connector and repair things. I managed to buy a (not quite correct) used connector and have experimented with it. Its from a 2017 sport and the pins used are not the same as my 2013. The connector is labelled C139 and while this is a standard connector label used over many years, the number of pins in this connector varies greatly over model years and styles. Mine is 34 pins.

To figure out how to de-pin the used connector, the first issue is with the light grey end cap in the other pic I’ve attached. This is a piece that makes the part number of the overall connector crazy complicated. It is “custom” to what pins are used. If a pin is not used, the end cap has that hole molded closed. As such there appears to be a part number suffix -000 thru -999 for the connector ie 1000 variations. So preserving my cars current end cap is important ie don’t break it. The next is the red seal – no problem. The white piece did not need to be removed. And so I’m left trying to get the pins out. On a normal connector, each pin has a little metal barb that needs to be depressed – not so with this connector. The dark plastic part contains the barbs and they are plastic, molded to the connector and very hard to get at. I managed to de-pin 10 wires of my sacrificial used connector before I broke a plastic barb which makes the connector useless. And so I’m confident that if I try to de-pin my cars current connector I will break a barb and so I need to source a new connector before I start.

The connector is made by Western Diversified Plastics (wdp) and I believe the part number is 60013512a01c-x... In googling, I run into a lot of places that don’t really have the part or want me to buy 100 @ $6 a piece or want hundreds of dollars for a couple.

I knew Ford sold pig tail kits and connectors but their doc doesn’t list any 34 pin connectors in their extensive catalog: https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/catalog/sub-category/desktop/Pigtail Final.pdf

Guess I am asking if anyone has any suggestions here or if I’m missing something in trying to buy a new connector from Ford or anyone? Or do I need to break down and just buy 100?

-mick

my C139.jpg used.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The electronics and wiring is significantly different on 2016+ models. What you have is not apples to apples. I did not read the entire thread but I can assure you that harness will be more trouble than its worth. I would repair what you have if you have the patience. Use a correct model year harness for splicing if necessary.

The battery corrosion is a known issue on the 5th gen but ive never seen it damage the harness

The electronics and wiring is significantly different on 2016+ models. What you have is not apples to apples. I did not read the entire thread but I can assure you that harness will be more trouble than its worth. I would repair what you have if you have the patience. Use a correct model year harness for splicing if necessary.

The battery corrosion is a known issue on the 5th gen but ive never seen it damage the harness
I'm aware of the differences - I was only trying to see if I could de-pin the connector without causing damage which I figured out I can't.

-mick

Back