4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread ! | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread !

that's what i had on my truck, and there really is nothing that can be done about it without spending more money. you could try dynomating the floor, or another choice of sound deadening. or you could spray bedliner on the underside of the body for the same effect, neither of these are going to be a real fix. the 40 series just drones a lot, it's in the design of the muffler. if you could cap one pipe that may help a little bit.

Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with a 40 series dual in dual out on my SOHC and the interior drone is getting unbearable.

Can anything be done to quiet it down other than a new muffler? I don't want to spend any more money since I paid $300 for the dual tailpipes. Would a single outlet quiet it down? I cut the big 3.5" tips off and have 2.5" turndowns exiting the bumper.

Thanks
Chances are that you actually have a Super 40 muffler, not the original 40 since it doesn't come in that configuration. But that muffler does drone, sounds good outside, but it drones on the highway. I had one on my frontier, and had to take it off because it was unbearable on the highway. It was the same set up, dual in, dual out. I even tried using a y-pipe to bring the pipes back together to go back to a single outlet. It helped some, but was still annoying on the highway. On my chevy now, I am running a Cherry Bomb elite muffler, you can notice it around town, but once cruising, its almost silent. But as mentioned, you could try to dynomatting the floor, using that lizard skin stuff sprayed to the floor on the inside and outside. But it may not be enough.

Dan

Thank you both for the very fast replies! I think ill stop being cheap and just go with a quieter muffler and a single outlet. I didn't mention that I had the exhaust installed four years ago, and I lost the abililty to keep my spare tire underneath.

I went with a 40 series dual in dual out on my SOHC and the interior drone is getting unbearable.

Can anything be done to quiet it down other than a new muffler? I don't want to spend any more money since I paid $300 for the dual tailpipes. Would a single outlet quiet it down? I cut the big 3.5" tips off and have 2.5" turndowns exiting the bumper.

Thanks

Well first off, which 40 series did you go with? Delta, Original, or Super?

As far as quieting it down, it's going to be hard. You could add resonators, but that's more pipe bending you'd have to do + welding.

I personally built my system with lap-clamps so I could swap mufflers depending on the tone I want/needed. I'm sorry to say if you don't like the drone, you're either going to have to get a different muffler or louder stereo.

Anyone else have ideas?

EDIT: I guess I was too slow to reply :p

I personally love the Super 40, but then again I love loud and drone. I'd go with what Hunter Dan stated. Different muffler-- ess. if it's been over 4 years with your current set up. I guess it wasn't too bad for being on 4 years :p

Im convinced now, definately need a new muffler. I cut the big tips recently, which helped a little.

I did like it a lot for awhile, but now I have a baby girl who falls asleep easily in her carseat and silence.is a luxury now lol.

texas whats the link i clicked that link and gave me different links but not to ur exhaust

Must be from using my phone to post it. Search my username Tantojutsuninpo and it will show my videos. I can't get a good link from my phone, it sucks

i looked up ur name i didnt see any exhaust video

You.didn't see one in a dashcam POV driving on the beach? I need to make one recording of the tailpipes up close. That video only shows what you hear inside. This is the muffler

2011-03-18_08-25-32_398.jpg

can u link it

I just had my exhaust done this morning. I have the 4.0 OHV motor. I had a Cherrybomb Pro muffler installed along with 2.5" tailpipe. I actually installed it over the weekend with a turndown and just now had the tailpipe installed. The sounds is very very close to what I want. Here is a quick video of how it sounds at idle. I think it sounds better than a flowmaster and the price was right. This muffler is a clone of the IMCO PRO, and is available at Pepboys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uXd55k5pU

Its much deeper than the magnaflow I just removed. I'm not sure how the drone is going to be, but with the turndown, it wasn't bad at all.

Dan

im looking at getting dual magnaflow turndowns on my 4.0. but would the cherrybomb sound better? i want a deep tone and kinda loud

When I had the magnaflow on my OHV, i was not impressed with the sound. The cherry bomb had a better tone than the magnaflow ever did.

dan

thanks that helps my decision

Just realized, I don't think I ever posted mine..

4.0 ohv and a Flowmaster 40 series w/ 2.5" duals.

I had a Hooker Maxflo muffler on my truck- basically a magnaflow clone but quieter. I didn't like the tone it gave. Even though it had more high-rpm power and flowed better, I had to put the flowmaster back on. Flow thru, fiberglass mufflers just sound toooo ricey on v6's.

When I had the magnaflow on my OHV, i was not impressed with the sound. The cherry bomb had a better tone than the magnaflow ever did.

dan

I agree with you- Cherry bomb is an absolutely legal muffler; its high flow helps out fuel efficiency in replacement with the OEM muffler. However, each person has his own opinion. So, it is better to hear before striking the deal.

after running the cherry bomb vortex for a year i am switching to a flowmaster super 44 the chery bomb was just too quiet and some times would sound like a ricer mobile when i was driving

I have a 40 series flow dumped before the axle. No drone. It has "both cats" as I call it. The Y cat and the monstrosity of a cat behind it. It's fairly quiet as far as I'm concerned.

replacing current flowmaster: I have contemplated switching to a magnaflow and killing the big cat.

True dual idea: My thought was from the manifolds straight back, h-pipe at end of transmission, one magnaflow on each side and dumped at the axle. And and necessary heat shielding by gas tank/ lines.

I have previous liking with a magnaflow on an 83 ranger no cat, h-pipe and two magnaflow mufflers. It sounded like a glasspack w/ engine cold and a flowmaster when warm. This was on a 2.8 v6/ 5 speed.

I had thought about making my own h-pipe and running two magnaflows. But I read that I'd lose big time low end power. However I'm not running a tailpipe to the bumper as it is, and I still have a decent amount of torque.

However, I have the Y-cat with the O2 sensor in the middle. Can this be in one pipe or does it need to be in both pipes for proper air/ fuel mixture?

This is a 1992 X 2wd.

Give me your opinions.

Thanks, Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im loving that throaty sound of the FM 40 delta but a 50 series may be better becuz its quieter.

Back