• Register Today It's free!

4.0l to Np435 conversion

jperry7783

Reaction score
City, State
Beckley, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I started this several months ago when my clutch finally died, I got stuck driving my explorer to work. The clutch was already weak and what can I say, this is how my luck is.
SANY0084-2.jpg

The adapter plate I got from a guy on therangerstation.

I ended up with a 2wd np435 by mistake. Thats why my transfer case is a dana 20.
SANY0080-2.jpg

The twin stick mod was some what easy. The linkage was the hard part. I also clocked the case up a little.
SANY0083-1.jpg

I got the trans and case lifted up and in place, but not bolted in yet. I'll try to get more pics tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a few pics of the tranny and Dana 20 in place.
SANY0089.jpg

SANY0088.jpg

SANY0087.jpg

This one is of the shifters.
SANY0086.jpg

Looks like the rocks are going to be for quite a bruising :D

Keep us posted! I'm planning a NP-435/NP-205 swap soon.

Looks like the rocks are going to be for quite a bruising :D

maybe, but we dont have many rocks in wv. lots of trees though.:biggthump:

I couldnt get everything up any higher without doing alot of work to the floor, and I really want to try this out.

Does anybody know how or what I can change my fuel lines to? The hard lines have been in the way on every modification I have done.

I got a little done over the past few days. Started on a tranny cover and bent the shifter a little so I could get it in reverse.
SANY0079.jpg

I also got the starter in and started on the slave cylinder bracket, dont laugh its ugly
SANY0081.jpg

You can also see how the stupid fuel lines are in the way. Any body come with some thoughts on how to move the lines?

Nobody's gonna laugh at that slave bracket, we're jealous because it's external!
What's the gear ratios on the NP, if you know offhand? Doesn't it have a real low 1st?

yup. 6.69:1 1st gear
i love this thread. my 302/np435/205 swap is currently held up by snow and frigid temperatures. stinkin michigan. i cant wait till april.
i also love the ridiculous bending ya have to do to be able to get into 1st/rev without hitting the dash/console.
been thinking of building one of these puppies and shortening the throw in the process.
7074_3401_popup.jpg

;)

That's a pretty sweet set up, but I think I've got my shifter worked out. I also think I've got the fuel lines figured out as well
SANY0104.jpg

SANY0103.jpg

Flaring the lines was a pain.
Any one see any problems with using 5/16 brake lines as fuel lines?

Nothing to update. Just thought I would post up a picture of the new shoes, to keep things interesting.
SANY0116.jpg

38x15.50 tsls.

I finally got a little free time today, and a found a new problem. I can't get the clutch to work at all. I've bled several clutches including the stock explorer stuff, and now it seems the master cylinder can't put out enough pressure or volume to get the clutch fork working far enough. When I pump the clutch up and open the bleeder on the slave, fluid squirts out pretty good. Just for reference I'm using the factory master cylinder and a slave cylinder from an 85ish Ford Truck. There does not appear to be room for the 85ish master cylinder. Does any one have any suggestions to get the fork to move?

I have got some new info to add to the previous post. If I force the clutch fork and compress the pressure plate, the slave cylinder will hold the plate compressed, with the pedal down of course. I left it like this for a few hours just see if there was any pressure loss, and there was none. The pedal still wont operate the cluth without help.

You need a 13/16" bore gm slave from a step van. I cant remember the year range but one of them used the same pin and O ring fitting that the explorer line uses. My friend just went through this with his Bronco 2, the F series as a 1" bore and just didn't have enough to fully disengage the clutch but the slightly smaller bore GM one fixed the problem for him. It helps to power bleed or pull the hole system also, they can be a real pain to get all the air out. Good luck, I know you will enjoy having a "real" trans in your explorer.

I don't have enough room to get a master cylinder with the attached resevoir under the brake booster. I did have the clutch working with a jeep slave, but that didn't last long. A few pumps and blew a seal. I would like to find a pull type slave to get away from the exhaust, but Ford has that stupid push lock fitting.

Starting to make a little forward progress. Got the brake booster out of the way with a hydroboost set up, and also got a wilwood master cylinder and pull slave.
SANY0145.jpg

SANY0146.jpg

I went backwards about 100 steps this past week. For what ever unknown reason I decided to pull the 4.0 out and put in a 5.0. Its almost in, I will get pictures some time. If any one is interested in my 4.0 to NP435 swap parts shoot me a PM.

How is the 5.0/435 combo working out? Do you like it better than the 4.0 setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still can't say. Not long after my last post, my wife at the time lost her mind and I had to take my little girl and bail. My explorer went to a buddy's house for safe keeping. I just got it back a month or two ago. I'm working on it again, so we will see.

Back