• Register Today It's free!

4 hi 4 lo Indicator lamp flash

randy63

Reaction score
City, State
ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 explorer 4x4 sport
1999 explorer sport sohc, Auto transmission 4x4 .
Indicator lamps 4hi x 4lo on dash flash 6 time

I disconnected battery for about 2 hours...To reset memory in computer.
It has not fixed flashing lamps

other than that drivetrain is good

I would like to aviod the stealership

:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this happens to me now and then. if i turn off the engine and turn it back on again it usually resets the computer and than i can use the 4wd.

If you have the controls in auto then the lights will flash when its engaging and disengaging. Other then that I can't be anymore help.

4x4 Flashing Lights

I had the same problem with my 97 Explorer. Lights flashed six times every few minutes. I had to replace the GEM (module behind the radio console). The GEM is expensive for a new one and only a dealer can calibrate the system correctly. The problem could be the TOD relay (located behind the glove box), but my bet is that it is the GEM causing the problem. Only a dealer diagnostic can tell for certain. Regardless, I doubt you will completely solve the problem without dealer intervention.
On the other hand, before I changed the GEM I did the "Brown Wire Mod" so I could select 4x4 manually and that got rid of the annoying flashing lights.

Back