4 wheel drive high/low won't engage. Hear click. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 wheel drive high/low won't engage. Hear click.

TomCal

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sports Trac
Hey all. New to the forum. I've been looking around and I tried searching but I can't find any thread although i'm sure it's out there.

I have a 2001 Sports Trac. Last year it was spotty trying to engage my 4WD. I thought just when it was too cold it wouldn't engage. Today I went to put it in 4WD and I hear the "Click" but no lights and it's not engaging. I had my transmission rebuilt a couple months ago and I'm hoping the shop didn't do something wrong.

Any help would be welcome.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the transfer case shift selector motor. You can check the connections down at the motor to make sure you have a good connection. If the connections are good, you will probably need to replace the motor. The click you are hearing is near the passenger foot well. It's good you are hearing the click as that means that relay is working.

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=48202&p=rock

Motor is between $69 and $123 on Rock Auto.

Thanks ! I would assume I can check the connections and if they are ok, remove the motor and cycle my 4WD switch to see if I get any movement on the motor ?

And thanks for the link. Found one on Amazon for $53

Thanks ! I would assume I can check the connections and if they are ok, remove the motor and cycle my 4WD switch to see if I get any movement on the motor ?

For sure, sometimes you can tap on the motor and get then moving again without removing them.

if the 4x4 light doesnt light , what is the problem? seems like it is engage it doesnt light up.

Ok. I replaced the motor and now the 4WD is intermittent. I drove it for a minute engaged it and the light came on and I could feel it in 4WD. I would shut it off and try again and it was fine. Then shut the vehicle down for a bit and went to take it out again and could not get it to engage...

Any thoughts ?

Might be a bad connection at the relay. Common to get some corrosion on the connectors. Passenger side kick panel.

Ok. Need some more help here. I ended finding a replacement transfer case motor cheap. Installed it and it didn't work right away, however driving for a few minutes, the 4wd engaged in high. But it wouldn't work all the time. I still hear the clicking in the module. So then it sat for a day and nothing. I happened to leave the heat on the floor for a long time and all of a sudden the module worked. No issue as long as it was warm. That worked for about a month. Not I try the same trick and nothing. I've cycled the connectors quite a few times and nothing. I even took the module out and inspected the solder joints. All looked good that I can see. So then I just decide to buy a module. I just installed it....and nothing. I don't know where else to go at this point.

Back