410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a 1354 electrically shifted case now, you can just use a 4406 e shift case with your existing wiring. Way cheaper and more reliable than adapting to keep the 1354.
I'm not trying to put a 4406 in place of a 1354. I'm considering putting a 1354 in place of the AWD unit behind the V8 instead of the 4406 conversion.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Advance Adapters now makes an adapter to put the 1354 behind the 4R70W (50-8404 : Ford late AOD to Borg Warner 1350 Adapter Kit | Advance Adapters) and you can convert the 1354 to a cable actuated shifter (Borg Warner Electric to Manual Shift Conversion Kit – Behemoth Drivetrain – Aggressive Performance). Granted the cost of these 2 items is in the $1500 range, but since I already have the 1354 case, I was considering it. I'm not sure if the adapter would allow either sets of driveshafts to work though. This keeps me from trying to source the manually shifted 4406, linkage, and driveshafts in the typical 4406 conversion. Again, since this much time has passed, I'm wondering how easy it would be to find these parts in a junkyard.

My 1988 Bronco II, which I converted to an explorer gt40p V8 back in 2005, uses the short version of the AA adapter. Advance has been making AOD to 1354 adapter for many many years.

My 4r70w was rebuilt using the Advance Adapters output shaft back in 2005
So my 5.0 BII is still running the 1354 t case. I have a manual shift 1354.
(5.0/4r70w/1354m)

I did have to make new driveshafts front and rear, the old v6 driveshafts changed lengths with the 4r70w and AA adapter. My BII was a 4.0/A4LD/1354e shift before I went v8

Now I am stuck with a custom transmission, meaning if my 4r70w fails I cannot just swap in another one, I must keep mine because I have $2500 in just the rebuild, adapter, and driveshafts.

I am not sure if the 4406 will fit a BII, I have not done a 4406 into a TTB truck yet.
I have used the 1354 and the NP205
I have however put the 4406e into 98+ rangers using the existing shift motor..... works awesome. There is some wiring to do on the 5.0 side of things however, you must provide the neutral safety wire, the 5.0 never left the factory with that wire because they were all RWD or full time AWD

My 1988 Bronco II, which I converted to an explorer gt40p V8 back in 2005, uses the short version of the AA adapter. Advance has been making AOD to 1354 adapter for many many years.

My 4r70w was rebuilt using the Advance Adapters output shaft back in 2005
So my 5.0 BII is still running the 1354 t case. I have a manual shift 1354.
(5.0/4r70w/1354m)

I did have to make new driveshafts front and rear, the old v6 driveshafts changed lengths with the 4r70w and AA adapter. My BII was a 4.0/A4LD/1354e shift before I went v8

Now I am stuck with a custom transmission, meaning if my 4r70w fails I cannot just swap in another one, I must keep mine because I have $2500 in just the rebuild, adapter, and driveshafts.

I am not sure if the 4406 will fit a BII, I have not done a 4406 into a TTB truck yet.
I have used the 1354 and the NP205
I have however put the 4406e into 98+ rangers using the existing shift motor..... works awesome. There is some wiring to do on the 5.0 side of things however, you must provide the neutral safety wire, the 5.0 never left the factory with that wire because they were all RWD or full time AWD
Thanks. Just weighing my options and doing a bunch of reading at the moment. I've owned 3 SOHC V6 Explorers, but this is my first V8 one. I didn't even know that the V8's had this issue with the AWD t-case until looking to buy the "new" Explorer.

If you have a v8 explorer already SKIP the 1354
Use the 4406
It bolts in and is a wicked tough T case
You can use a f150 front d shaft and the rear d shaft can also be found at the junkyard
This saves you $$$$, keeps you away from custom parts, you do not have to rebuild the 4r70w, etc etc

I have converted MANY AWD 5.0 explorer to use the 50/50 4406 both manual and electric shift

Use the 4406
You can use a f150 front d shaft and the rear d shaft can also be found at the junkyard
This saves you $$$$, keeps you away from custom parts, you do not have to rebuild the 4r70w, etc etc

I have converted MANY AWD 5.0 explorer to use the 50/50 4406 both manual and electric shift
Thanks. Sounds like that's the preferred approach. It looks like I'll need to start looking for some parts.

I'm not trying to put a 4406 in place of a 1354. I'm considering putting a 1354 in place of the AWD unit behind the V8 instead of the 4406 conversion.
Right, I get that. You're doing a swap and trying to keep your 1354 behind a V8 rather than the AWD case. I'm suggesting that instead of the headaches involved in making that happen (or sourcing a relatively rare manual shift case), you can use your existing 4wd controls with an e shift 4406 that's easier to find.

Edit... I'm an idiot.

Now I understand what you mean.

If you're trying to put a 4wd case in the V8 explorer, that's different. The manual shift case probably is worth looking for in that situation. Sorry for introducing complication.

You might be able to use the V6's GEM, shift wiring, etc but someone else is more qualified to elaborate on that.

Right, I get that. You're doing a swap and trying to keep your 1354 behind a V8 rather than the AWD case. I'm suggesting that instead of the headaches involved in making that happen (or sourcing a relatively rare manual shift case), you can use your existing 4wd controls with an e shift 4406 that's easier to find.

Edit... I'm an idiot.

Now I understand what you mean.

If you're trying to put a 4wd case in the V8 explorer, that's different. The manual shift case probably is worth looking for in that situation. Sorry for introducing complication.

You might be able to use the V6's GEM, shift wiring, etc but someone else is more qualified to elaborate on that.
No problem. Sounds like I'm better off with the 4406 swap.

Use the 4406

So in reading through your initial swap, you spent a lot of time with getting the speedo gear in the tailshaft housing. For later model Gen 2's, the speed sensor is in the rear differential so it seems to me that with my 2000 V8 Explorer, I may not have to deal with that particular issue, right?

Correct
97 was the last year of the t case mounted vss
Back then there were no standalone Speedometer interfaces

The 02+ rangers used a stand alone 4wd control module which can pretty easily be wired into and gen ii truck to control the 1354 or 4406 e shift to cases
I have done that several times too, usually to delete a control trac case in v6 trucks. The stand alone controller works with the stock dash switch and bypasses the gem module Completely, this is known as the “motorolla box”

Correct

The 02+ rangers used a stand alone 4wd control module which can pretty easily be wired into and gen ii truck to control the 1354 or 4406 e shift to cases
I have done that several times too, usually to delete a control trac case in v6 trucks. The stand alone controller works with the stock dash switch and bypasses the gem module Completely, this is known as the “motorolla box”
Thanks. That definitely simplifies my install. Back to reading.

I have a 4406, shift linkage and a driveshaft if you are interested in it.
Thanks. That definitely simplifies my install. Back to reading.
Bronco Guy I have parts you need, sent you a PM

if he isn't I maybe for the right price. I collect as many 4406m as I can get my hands on

Use the 4406

Just curious, but in doing some more reading today, I saw a different (and potentially better) option for the front driveshaft. Of course I read this after buying the F150 front driveshaft and hybrid u-joint, but using the Moog 627 yoke (Double Cardan CV Flange Yoke Moog 627 for sale online | eBay) on a Gen 1 Explorer driveshaft seems like a good option to me.

That is a good option
There are several ways to skin a cat
I have used gen 1 driveshafts, I have used f250 driveshafts, each build is different!
When I converted the 96 in this thread it was the first time and it was years and years ago

I have found on many trucks the f150 shaft must be shortened to fit, easy enough to take an inch out of the slip yoke.
Any lifted trucks with drop brackets you are going to want a double cardan joint in there so the gen 1
Shaft (from ttb trucks) is perfect for that

That is a good option
I have used gen 1 driveshafts, I have used f250 driveshafts, each build is different!
When I converted the 96 in this thread it was the first time and it was years and years ago

I have found on many trucks the f150 shaft must be shortened to fit, easy enough to take an inch out of the slip yoke.
Any lifted trucks with drop brackets you are going to want a double cardan joint in there so the gen 1
Thanks. Good to know there are some options. I'm not planning on doing a suspension lift at the point, so I'll just stick with the parts I have.

That is a good option

410Fortune: I'm getting ready to buy the parts from a local jy and they seem to have everything I will need for a good price; I just have to pull the parts myself, is what I would like to know is if any front drive shaft from any 97 - 2004 4.6 ford truck or SUV will work? Because when I plugged in a 97 f150 4.6 front drive shaft it brought up f150's and expeditions for that drive shaft.

Yes
Think about it for a second
The 4.6 trucks used a 4r70w automatic same as us and of course the 4406 t case
So it makes sense that a front driveshaft from any 4.6 would work

Even some 5.4 trucks still used the 4r70w until a certain curb Weight. There is also the v6 f150 w the 4.2l that also uses the 4r70w and 4406. With this knowledge you do not need a book to find a front d shaft that will work!

Yes
Think about it for a second
The 4.6 trucks used a 4r70w automatic same as us and of course the 4406 t case
So it makes sense that a front driveshaft from any 4.6 would work

Even some 5.4 trucks still used the 4r70w until a certain curb Weight. There is also the v6 f150 w the 4.2l that also uses the 4r70w and 4406. With this knowledge you do not need a book to find a front d shaft that will work!
Great thanks for your help, I had thought that the Junk yards computer system needed to be rebooted🙄. Now I can get my tools together and some money and get to pulling parts. 😎

Correct

Jamie, what shift switch positions is that controller made for? Does it command 2WD manual as well as the A4WD, I'm pointing to the early Expeditions that had the four switch positions, 2WD, A4WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. I may still try the BW 4406e at some point, and I bought the switch and GEM from a 98 Expedition. I can make the switch go into the bezel and work, but it would leave the stock display showing three positions A4WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. The Expedition switch would rotate farther to the left, for the 2WD setting.

The Motorola box works with 3 position t case motor, 96-04 explorer 98-11 ranger style dash switch

If you want to use a control trac type t case with torque on demand there were some members here on explorwrforum years ago making a stand alone control trac controller even printing their own circuit board. I always thought that would be pretty cool.

However I bet the expedition after 2002 uses a similar Motorola box to control the awd, 4
Position switch system, the gem modules no longer controlled the 4x4 after 2001 so chances are good there is a factory control box that can be wired up heck maybe even using the rites factory wiring harness from control module to t cade
Motor like we do when we perform control trac deletes

Back