410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I got the 98 Expedition GEM to try to find the circuits inside to run the 4-position switch. I do recall some here long ago discussing the idea of making a circuit board to do that also. I've had the switch and this GEM for about that long.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So when I do a search for 2004-05 expedition 4wd control module many parts show up. There is indeed a 4x4 control module for those trucks and I know they use the tod t case since I have one of those t cases here

I would use one of these instead of piggyback a gem module

The wiring for the module should be in the 04+ wiring books

Very interesting!
I could build a control trac awd 4406 truck

Exactly, that's what I was aiming for. I wanted the automatic 4WD or normal use, or the 2WD if I was going to drive it real easy. I believe the early Expedition also used the shift motor to lock it in 4WD Hi in that position, which would be stronger than the Control Trac's method. That always uses the electromagnetic clutch to engage the front driveshaft.

Yes
Think about it for a second
The 4.6 trucks used a 4r70w automatic same as us and of course the 4406 t case
So it makes sense that a front driveshaft from any 4.6 would work

Even some 5.4 trucks still used the 4r70w until a certain curb Weight. There is also the v6 f150 w the 4.2l that also uses the 4r70w and 4406. With this knowledge you do not need a book to find a front d shaft that will work!

410Fortune:
I have another question everyone is talking about trimming the tabs on the 4406 tc and I know at one time there were pictures of this, but all the pictures in most of the posts are gone, is there anyone that has pictures that they can post of the tabs that need to be cut/ground off? It would be greatly appreciated if they can post them.
Also what when I search for the rear driveshaft on car-parts.com this is the only choices it gives me

1669665307445.png

I thought that we needed one from a 5.4? Does it matter what transmission will the driveshaft from the E4OD work?
Yes, I was getting prepared to do the swap last year, but the funds needed to be used on other things so am going to try to get it done soon, still have access to all the parts needed.
Thanks in advance for all the help

Will the front driveshaft out of a 99 expedition with a 4.6 work? It has a plate at both ends no yokes

yes 99 expedition front shaft will work, might need to cut it down an inch which can be done at the slip yoke

For the rear D shaft choices number 5 would be correct, 4.6L 4r70w w standard suspension

All tabs get shaved off
I am sure I have a picture of this somewhere
I mean ALL TABS around the outside of the t case, no harm in shaving them
image001.jpeg
image003.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image002.jpeg

yes 99 expedition front shaft will work, might need to cut it down an inch which can be done at the slip yoke

For the rear D shaft choices number 5 would be correct, 4.6L 4r70w w standard suspension

All tabs get shaved off
I am sure I have a picture of this somewhere
I mean ALL TABS around the outside of the t case, no harm in shaving them
View attachment 436973View attachment 436974View attachment 436975View attachment 436976
Thank you for clearing up the D-Shaft concerns and questions.
Also thank you very much now I know exactly what to cut off for clearance on the T-Case

Back