How to: - 4R70W Rebuild Diary Discussion, Questions, ETC | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 4R70W Rebuild Diary Discussion, Questions, ETC

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
If the trans does need the extra work done to replace the piston seals etc, find someone who can do that for you. The tools used to be about $150, but they have gone up from what I've read. The piston compressor is over $100 now, and the seal tools I read were near $100(which is too much). I'd suggest finding a person or shop that will "bench build a transmission." The trans R&R is the hard part, and the basic rebuild needs a lot of care and cleanliness.

Concentrate on the things you can do which rebuilds do not include, the VB kit and upgrades, get the VB solenoids etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the trans does need the extra work done to replace the piston seals etc, find someone who can do that for you. The tools used to be about $150, but they have gone up from what I've read. The piston compressor is over $100 now, and the seal tools I read were near $100(which is too much). I'd suggest finding a person or shop that will "bench build a transmission." The trans R&R is the hard part, and the basic rebuild needs a lot of care and cleanliness.

Concentrate on the things you can do which rebuilds do not include, the VB kit and upgrades, get the VB solenoids etc.

wonder if they tools can be used on the 4r100 tans also, im sure i will be rebuilding that one too. im gonna try to find the tools used. i dont like other people working on things for me.

Cool, that's why I began doing my own long ago. There will likely be a different seal tool or two for the 4R100 because they are sized for each piston.

Go to the many parts suppliers and find the places who sell a lot of performance parts, solenoids and VB kits etc. Some of those will also sell the tools to build a trans.

Cool, that's why I began doing my own long ago. There will likely be a different seal tool or two for the 4R100 because they are sized for each piston.

Go to the many parts suppliers and find the places who sell a lot of performance parts, solenoids and VB kits etc. Some of those will also sell the tools to build a trans.

i have many different size seal pullers and drivers. whats so special about the tools?

The "pistons" inside the drums have an inner and outer seal on them. They are a ring of a rubber material which fits onto the inner and outer edge of those pistons. Their profile is "L" shaped, and the lip of each doesn't go down into the drum without the tool to "compress" the lip portion. Some people have had limited success by other methods to install the seals. The seal tools are simple plastic pieces that fit snugly inside/outside of the pistons, making the installation a fast drop in step. I think I paid about $35 for the AOD set, I would call that a price to shoot for.

There are a few brass/copper races inside the case and several hard parts. If those are all unhurt then you reuse them. Damaged transmissions often need many of those replaced, which those take the typical seal drivers to R&R. There are a couple of specialty tools for a couple of those, like the rear case bearing/race. Just check all of those carefully.

dropped the pan and the fluid all full of little bubbles. doesnt look to bad in pan, what struck me odd was teh filter was laying in the pan and not attched to tranny and the oring was ****ed in the hole..

wonder if this was the problem.. we will see when i put it back togeather to test..

looks like these pan gaskets are reusable with little metal things in them to keep from over tightening them, am i correct? im gonna reuse it all for my test.

fluid was clean on the stick, but pretty dark in the pan, some small metal sparkles, didnt look that much different then any other tranny fluid change ive done, maybe a little more black.

Bringing back an old post....

Glacier991, or anyone else out there listening...

I am in the process of getting all the tools together for the rebuild of my wife's 4R70W in her 1998 AWD Mounty.

What is the part number of that Cup Shaped Spring Compressor?
DSCN6879.jpg

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan, I'm not sure what that is for, possibly to work with the piston spring compressor for a certain drum. I haven't R&R'd the pistons of a 4R70W or AODE yet, but the AOD parts are the same size. I'll find out soon.

Which tools do you have so far, and how many miles are on the trans?

Hmm, I didn't catch that in the thread. I have the same compressor, but I didn't need that special tool to do the wave snap ring. I cannot recall how I did it, but that was about 1998. You can get it done without that, if you need to.

I have purcchased, or already had the following tools:

Lip Seal protector set (seen in various posts/pictures, here are a couple)
DSCN6718.JPG
DSCN6722.JPG

Pilot Bushing Puller
DSCN7211.JPG

Clutch Spring Compressor
DSCN6725.JPG
DSCN6817.JPG

I also just bought THIS spring compressor:
DSCN6804.JPG

Rear Case Bushing R & R Tool
DSCN6587.JPG

Direct Drive Solid Sealing Ring Installer Kit
DSCN6918.JPG

I have also purchased a new Digital 6" Caliper, and the 4r70W manual from ATSG...

Now I still need to source the following parts:

Small tipped snap ring pliers:
DSCN6727.JPG

I still need to buy that bowl shaped spring compressor, once I have everything here, I will make a build diary like Glacier991 did..

Ryan

Very good, you have just about everything to do it all. :thumbsup:

I have a question? I replaced my transmission (4r70w) with a used one. My OD light is blinking, and when it shifts from 1 to 2 the rpms jump up about 500 just before it shifts in 2nd. I think from 2nd to 3rd is fine as far as I can tell. Any Ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

You need to find out what the fault code is and go from there. If you aren't experienced diagnosing electronic transmissions, you may want to take it to a shop and have it done. These can be tricky...or it can be something as simple as a disconnected or bad sensor.

It was throwing a code for shift solenoid A. If I am not mistaken isn't that located on the valve body? What is involved in replacing it and are there any threads about it. Thanks!

It's easy to change the solenoids, pan down etc. You have a pre-98 trans, you should for sure replace the EPC, the accumulators, and the DTRS(range sensor). For high mileage I'd change all of the solenoids, they aren't really that expensive.

On the 3-4 shift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RE: Shift flare from 3-4 on a 4r70w (Automatic tranny used on 5.0 engines)

Rant: This thread is useless. I don't see why it is a sticky.

I am the average joe who knows a little about cars, but I have never re-built a transmission. I know that there is a lot of members with tranny problems on this forum, but unless you are a tech with tranny experience, all the forum discussions on this topic seem (to me) like mumbo-jumbo.

I have gleaned a lot of helpful information on this forum related to many different problems that I have had . . . . but I must say that I am really disappointed and confused about the postings on transmission problems. I need a transmission for dummies thread.

Back