Raga's 99 Sport OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Raga's 99 Sport OHV

NAME ADDED: "LEMON"
Everyone meet Lemon... I bought it after my Daily Driver a '07 Taurus was repossessed (Hurray for the economy) Initially I knew it needed so tranny work - part of the reason I got it for $1300. But with new tires, battery, brakes and recent full tune up and just over 100K miles it was a steal!

driverside.jpg
EFsticker.jpg
tires1.jpg
tires2.jpg
diehardbattery.jpg

Sorry for the gigantic pics - resizing to come - still trying to learn photobucket

here is the main problem... No Reverse and an enormous gaper in the side of the tranny. For now it is epoxied so it wont hemorrage anymore fluid...

origionaltransholeincase.jpg

And yes that is a floor board I cut oppen to get access to the hole. It'll be welded back together when I finally bring the beast in to have the new-ish tranny installed next week.

Here is the tranny I bought - just an initial observation and a drain plug mod
panoff.jpg

when I opened the pan I was relieved to see how clean it was.
pancleanasawhistle.jpg

almost no metal powder on the magnet!
trannypanbeforeplug.jpg

inspected the Reverse Servo and Bore
revservoout.jpg

servoshaftwear.jpg

the servo shaft shows minor wear, but this IMO is where the death sentance with the 5R55E transmission begins...
I wish I had a better camera - on the tip of the servo is shows tiny hairline fractures - but the tip is not broken (yet)
crackinservo-1.jpg

In the very near future I will install a new servo... but it will have to do for now.
Currently working on valve covers and upper intake gasket job (What a PITA!)
Well that's all for now.
-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to add...

1999 4.0L OHV
5r55e 4wd
Pwr windows, locks, OEM cd player
Remote Keyless Entry w/ keypad and perimeter alarm
power passenger and driver seat and puddle lamps

My plans for it are just as a DD - no street or OR mods
(I'm saving that all for my Bronco II)

Working on PITA valve covers...

Yikes what a PITA! Anyways --- as long as I have it ripped apart I decided to clean up the upper intake plenum and get a lil fancy with some model paint...
paint40L2.jpg

:D its the little things :D
-Mike

Nice Mike- I like it! :thumbsup:

Fix the backwards front roof rack crossbar. It's the little things... :D

Also...

put in a tranny drain plug
easydrainplug3.jpg

easydrainplug1.jpg

easydrainplug2.jpg

busy nite :D

Nice Mike- I like it! :thumbsup:

Fix the backwards front roof rack crossbar. It's the little things... :D

HAHAHA! Extra HA! I just noticed that when I was looking at my thread - funny
You would have a stroke if you saw the interior... pics to come.

nice lookin sport

Thanks Sam - it's gettin there...

Nice! Like the drain plug mod too. Makes me want to get some model paint out as well.

Update

Nice! Like the drain plug mod too. Makes me want to get some model paint out as well.

Thanks GRNMACHINE

Anyways update: I finished the valve cover and upper intake job this morning out in the driveway. Of course it was snowing cats and dogs-and I have no garage, but I needed to finish it before the cold spell hits us. Supposed to be 20 deg F by Sunday nite. Wrapped it all up and threw the tranny in the back and brought it up to the shop for installation. So in the next 2 weeks she will be road worthy.

Something unsettling happened tho as I pulled into the shop entrance this morning. I had 4x4 on because the roads were treacherous and when I cranked the wheel to negotiate a parking spot it ratcheted and clunked NASTY. I knew on the old fashioned "spool" axles (with wheel joints) that if you cranked the wheel it would bind up but I thought that the Gen 2s had a cv type axle in front.

Hopefully I am not looking at more than just a tranny...:roll::yelexp::roll::yelexp:

3 weeks on the road...

Well it has been three weeks of driving and so far so good. A few small issues to work out (well actually big issues)
When I got Lemon back from having the trans put in I found I had a CEL right away and had it read. P1309 "misfire detection disabled - AIC Chip fault" Basically it is either the computer that is flaky, a bad cam sync shaft, bad cam sync sensor or possibly crank position sensor.... UHG. Anyways as soon as I get a spot in the garage cleared I will start OHMing out the sensors to rule them out.

Also have a strange coolant smell (not through the tail pipe) but ever present outside of the car. - I'll be getting some dye and a uv light to find out what's up. I'll be sure to grab pics of the process. Will also be ripping apart the oil trans sometime soon to find out what the hell happened in there :D

But all and all I am happy, get decent mileage (despite the CEL) and the ride is great. Can't go wrong in the snow either!

Great rig Mike, I'm glad its going well, apart from a couple of hiccups! Stay safe in the snow Mate.

Thanks Greg, It's getting there and at least now I can give my poor Bronco a rest........

Explorer is gone :-(

Welp it has been a long painful journey here.... I guess it just wasn't meant to be for me. The Engine was going south and I couldn't afford to put yet another $1500 bucks in it again. So Someone offered me some $$ for it that could afford to do the work. My loss is there gain I suppose. I CAN tell you my next Explorer will most certainly be a 302cid with the 4r70w trans. Take care gang, I will make sure to post up again soon but difficult now because I have now internet at the cribo. Talk to you all again soon!
-Mike

Good luck Mike- talk to you soon!

Take it easy Mike, hope you're enjoying the new pad mate.

Back