• Register Today It's free!

4R70W Rebuild=restricted 1st Gear

SFCTexas

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Expedition
While in drive, the trans starts out in 2nd gear. By manually putting the gear shift in 1st, the veh will not move under idle. When accelerating, it moves as if the break were applied.

I am not an expert mechanic, but I know enough to get buy without spending $1000's in a shop.

I have looked for quite some time to find the answer on this site. However, the only question that matched mine went unanswered.

Could some please point me in the right direction?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The intermediate clutch is on, most likely due to no clearance in the clutch stack. When the pump is installed it applies the clutch.

There are thick and thin clutches and steels, you should measure the thickness of the new clutches and steels and compare to the old ones.

Or you have the intermediate clutch installed incorrectly.

Thanks

Thank JK

This is the first time for me to tear into a transmission. I have dropped and stabbed many but no internal experience.

Your diognosis makes sense. However, I know the clearances are good. I did not replace the clutches at all. They were all, including bands, surprisingly in great condition for having 80K+ miles.

I did return the clutches in the same order as they came out. So, could it be the spring ring between the pump and the clutch that was installed wrong?

Thanks again

Sure if the spring is in the wrong spot it can apply the clutches.

Assuming you are working on your 04 Expedition, the trans should be the a late design 4R70W. The intermediate clutch stack should be the pressure plate first into the case followed by clutches and steels, ending with a steel. Then the spring support with the inner lip facing up then the wave spring on top of that.

4R75W Intermedate spring.JPG

I guess I am going just yank it back out and inspect the front end of the trany. Everything your telling me sounds exactly like how I installed the parts.

I will let you know. It will take me a little time. The operation will take place in my driveway and I have a torn rotator cuff. So, please bare with me on the response.

Got it dropped and pulled the pump. Discovered that I had inverted the spacer. Going back in with it today.

Back