• Register Today It's free!

4R70W Transmission

tmikes

Reaction score
City, State
modesto,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mercury mountainner V8
I have a 97 Mountaineer V8 just replaced the radiator due to a bad transmission cooler. So I had to replace ATF and filter because coolant got in there. I replaced it with Valvoline Mercon V and a bottle of Lucas transmission fix. Every thing worked good. Now about 200 miles later and I get a shudder at 30 to 35 mph when it is warmed up could it be from the additive I used ? any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on your Ex?

I've had nothing but dismal results trying to use anything like trans fix additive.

Others have not.

It has 180,000 miles

When you change the ATF with pan drain, it is just a partially drain. The Torque Converter is still full with old contaminated oil.
I think that the TC it has a drain bolt.

If not, it really needed a full flush. Disconnect the transmission lines to the cooler. One bucket for sucking in the fresh oil, one for dumping the old one. Run the engine and be prepared with several gallons of ATF.

I drained the Torque Converter I put 12 qt. ATF and one bottle of Lucas transmission fix. could a solenoid be bad ? I don't have a check engine light on. Thanks for all the quick reply

It would be a coincidence that a solenoid went bad right after this.
If you look on the transmission dip-stick, is it clean red oil or it has foam?

If the solenoid or something electrical was bad would the check gauge or engine light be on ? The fluid is clean red. The problem slowly come on but it gets bad as it gets warmer

Draining does not remove all the transmission fluid -- about 2 qt would still be left. And in your case, those 2 qt would include coolant. Coolant is not friendly to transmission components. Perhaps a flush would help, and perhaps permanent damage has already been done. I would suggest seeking advice from a reputable transmission shop.
If the solenoid or something electrical was bad would the check gauge or engine light be on ? The fluid is clean red. The problem slowly come on but it gets bad as it gets warmer

Fluid or Converter

I am convinced that these transmissions perform better and last longer when using Motorcraft Mercon V only. I have used some friction modifier additives to rule out a converter problem but quickly replenished with new Motorcraft ATF.

If that does not correct the problem then it points directly at a worn out torque converter.
Mike

Back