• Register Today It's free!

4r70w

tmikes

Reaction score
City, State
modesto,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mercury mountainner V8
I have a 97 mountaineer 5.0 V8 RWD does anyone know if a 2000 explorer 4.9L V8 OHV 16V Limited 2WD transmission work in my 97 and what would be need for the swap ? Thanks

As long as it is from a 5.0 v8 yes, and it should swap over without being a total PITA.

The v8 4.6 is a no go, (mustang, thunderbird etc)

Oddly enough the V6 mustang has a windsor bolt pattern. I have done a bunch of reading, and the mustang crowd says the v6 trans is a 4r70w, I'm not 100% on that.

I don't think the 2000 4R70W is a plug and play replacement for the '97.

The 2000 lacks the VSS for the speedo and there are wiring differences too. Does not make the 2000 a no-go, but you'll need to retrofit the differences.

The 4R70W comes in two basic cases, the engine bolt patterns. Look at the starter bolts, the 302 4R70W has two starter bolts. All of the "modular" versions of the 4R70W have three starter bolts.

You OP with a 97 Explorer do have to have the output shaft and housing with the speed sensor in it. You can swap almost any internal parts from 4R to 4R, but you have to know those details when selecting one and for the builder/installer.

BTW, for the best latest 4R70W for the SBF's, get the 2004 Mustang V6 trans. That is the last of the 4R's that bolt to the SBF, plus it already has the "J Mod" in it and all internal upgrades ever used up till then.

The J Mod should only be done on the car trans, not the trucks VB. The truck VB's for some reason are always different enough in calibrations that many VB kits don't perform the way they were intended to(which was done for a car VB).

Back