4th Gen 32v Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen 32v Swap

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I want to attempt to swap the 32v 4.6L V8 into my explorer, and everything seems perfectly fine mechanically wise, im just wondering, since the 32v heads are bigger than the 24v heads, does anyone know if those heads would potentially cause space issues inside the engine bay?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The DOHC heads would have to be to larger accommodate dual cams over a single one. What vehicle is the 32V 4.6L taken from? There isn't much horsepower/torque difference between the older N/A 32V 4.6L engines than the 4.6L 3V version in the 2006-2010 Explorers and Mountaineers. Have you figured out the computer control modifications needed for engine management? If you are replacing a 4.0L SOHC V6 then you will have to gut the wiring harness and most of the existing computer control system. Putting in a non-standard engine will likely require a strand alone engine/transmission control system. This won't be an easy or inexpensive swap.

The DOHC heads would have to be to larger accommodate dual cams over a single one. What vehicle is the 32V 4.6L taken from? There isn't much horsepower/torque difference between the older N/A 32V 4.6L engines than the 4.6L 3V version in the 2006-2010 Explorers and Mountaineers. Have you figured out the computer control modifications needed for engine management? If you are replacing a 4.0L SOHC V6 then you will have to gut the wiring harness and most of the existing computer control system. Putting in a non-standard engine will likely require a strand alone engine/transmission control system. This won't be an easy or inexpensive swap.
As it stands, I have two options on the table, find a 4.6L 3v to swap in (yes i do have a 4.0 SOHC), or take a 32V from a Lincoln Aviator (which was also mated to the transmission I have in my vehicle currently) and put it in. I would prefer the 32V, simply because of the aftermarket, because it was used as the Cobra Terminator motor, with the potential to make more power. There is a thread on here about someone managed to make it work in a 3rd gen explorer. Because the 3rd gen and 4th gen are so similar, I was wondering if theres enough similarities in engine bay size and firewall in order to make the swap possible.

As it stands, I have two options on the table, find a 4.6L 3v to swap in (yes i do have a 4.0 SOHC), or take a 32V from a Lincoln Aviator (which was also mated to the transmission I have in my vehicle currently) and put it in. I would prefer the 32V, simply because of the aftermarket, because it was used as the Cobra Terminator motor, with the potential to make more power. There is a thread on here about someone managed to make it work in a 3rd gen explorer. Because the 3rd gen and 4th gen are so similar, I was wondering if theres enough similarities in engine bay size and firewall in order to make the swap possible.
The aftermarket for the Terminators is centered around a supercharged engine. There aren't many aftermarket parts regarding naturally aspirated (N/A) 32V engines. The 4.6L 3V does have a healthy aftermarket for N/A engines and the 6R60 transmission it uses is far more reliable than any 5-speed auto Ford put into the Explorer. IMO, the easiest way to get a V8 into a 4th gen Explorer/Mountaineer is to buy one that came this way from the factory. If you don't mind taking on the cost, trouble and risk of doing the swap you are planning then I say go for it. Just be aware of what you are getting into because it won't be easy or inexpensive. Buying a used engine is risky in itself. Selling your Explorer and adding in the money you will spend on the swap would likely get you into a V8 4th gen. Plus, there are supercharger kits for the 4.6L 3V V8s that get them into the low/mid 400 hp/tq range if you want to go crazy one day.

Also worth mentioning, the Aviators are in much higher supply in my area than the 3v Explorers.
The Aviator is another option for getting into a 32V "Explorer" but it seems most of them I have seen have a ragged out interior for some reason. Getting parts for them these days might be difficult and will be even more difficult as time passes.

There have been many discussions on here previously about modding the 4.6 in this generation - after all, the Mustang had the same engine so it should be easy right? Plenty of mods on the Mustang version.
I haven't tried personally but I recall people saying that those aftermarket parts don't work on our engines. Not sure why they don't but just wanted to mention it as you should make sure that what you want to do will actually work before you swap in a 4.6 for a 4.0. It would suck to hit a dead end at that point.

There have been many discussions on here previously about modding the 4.6 in this generation - after all, the Mustang had the same engine so it should be easy right? Plenty of mods on the Mustang version.
I haven't tried personally but I recall people saying that those aftermarket parts don't work on our engines. Not sure why they don't but just wanted to mention it as you should make sure that what you want to do will actually work before you swap in a 4.6 for a 4.0. It would suck to hit a dead end at that point.
I think the issue with using Mustang GT naturally aspirated performance parts on a nearly 5k lb Explorer/Mountaineer is they are centered on making high end horsepower and not low/mid range torque. In fact, many of them reduce low/mid range torque which is not what works well for a 5k lb vehicle. A 5k lb vehicle needs loads of low/mid range torque for spirited daily driving or to deliver decent 60' numbers at a drag strip. As an example, a lot of Mustang owners replace the charge motion plates with aftermarket ones to find that they gained a few high RPM horsepower but lost a lot of low/mid range torque. Then they find that the loss of low/mid range torque makes the car a lot less fun to drive on the street.

Check out the specs on Ford's monster 7.3L.
They fit the 4.6 bays.
There is a much easier way to get the performance of a 7.3L in a 4th gen V8 Explorer. Install a twin screw supercharger. This gives around 425-450 rwhp/rwtq that equates to around 530-550 horsepower at the crank using 20% drive train loss. Plus, this is a lot easier and cheaper than a Godzilla engine swap. I ran a Kenne Bell twin screw on my '89 Mustang for a number of years. It made 430 rwhp. The really fun part of doing this was the 462 peak rwtq it made at around 2,200 RPM. After it was installed the stock T-5 didn't last more than a few days before third gear exploded during a hard low RPM pull.

Not to hijack. Can you do anything to help the 4.0 ?
in what way? reliability? power?

powr wise moddbox makes a SC kit for it
reliability wise theres manual chain tensioners and preoilers etc

Not to hijack. Can you do anything to help the 4.0 ?
Look into the engine build a member here named "Donalds" has done. He supercharged his 4.0L SOHC V6 and did an excellent job of it.

Look into the engine build a member here named "Donalds" has done. He supercharged his 4.0L SOHC V6 and did an excellent job of it.
him and 4pointslow are the SC guys!

I concur that buying a V8 4th gen Explorer is a better answer to swapping anything into that SOHC 4.0 truck. If the goal was to go way past the OEM power level, then many combinations would be great. The DOHC 4.6/5.4/5.0 are all larger than all big block Fords, because the DOHC heads are massive, and the block deck height is similar too.

So yes the new 7.3 crate engine fits in most cars that could take the DOHC's. But is it a good swap project, I'd say no for all except the people who just love a big block no matter what.

The swap costs will be high, lots of labor too, you better do some budget thinking for a long time to see how bad it may be. Then increase that cost projection, it will be higher. Members on the Corral forum are debating the feasibility of a Coyote(5.0) swap into any older Mustang, plus various other swaps. The current price suggestions are over $10k now, and going up. So a simple 4.6 3V V8 may be on the low cost end, but selling the 4.0 and buying a V8 model is still easier and likely less cost.

I still myself love the idea of a late(2017 F150) 3.7 NA engine/trans swap. But that will be hell for wiring in any older vehicle, and for some large enough engine bays, the many other engines may fit as easily too. So plot your goals and budget well, take your time finding the right donor vehicle if that's the best path. Good luck,

Back