4wd woes, not the common blinking light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd woes, not the common blinking light

Mr.Fork

Reaction score
City, State
Scotch Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I replaced my trans a month or so ago, and was in too much of a rush to put my front driveshaft back in. Finally got around to doing it the other day. Got in the truck and put it into 4wd hi, the light came on the dash solid, no blinking 4wd light. I didnt feel the transfer case engage or anything, tried driving, felt maybe only a little more solid, but not enough to know for sure if it was all in my head. I left the truck in 4wd, turned it off, got out of the truck and checked the front driveshaft and it free spun. I assume the reason there was no tension from the wheels was cause of the auto locking hubs(someone correct me if I'm wrong), but should the transfer case still have the front engaged even when off, keeping it from spinning freely? If anyone has any advice or info, I would appreciate it. Thanks

.... I left the truck in 4wd, turned it off, got out of the truck and checked the front driveshaft and it free spun. Meaning, you turned the front shaft by hand, with everything shut off? This would be normal (it IS a '96, right?)
I assume the reason there was no tension from the wheels was cause of the auto locking hubs(someone correct me if I'm wrong), IF it has the DANA Model 35 IFS front axle (most likely), the front driveshaft is disconnected from the drive axle by a vacuum-driven motor mounted on the front axle housing, just right of the center section. With ignition off, it would allow the front shaft to be mechanically disconnected from the axle. In this design, both front axles turn all the time as the vehicle moves, the "locking hubs" action is done by the shift motor mentioned.
but should the transfer case still have the front engaged even when off, keeping it from spinning freely? No. Rotational power from the transfer case input is connected to the front driveshaft by an electrically-operated clutch. Therefore, with power turned off, the clutch is de-activated, regardless of 2WD 4WD switch selector position, and the front driveshaft can be turned freely by hand. This system is called "Control Trac" on the Explorer. If you need more info, or more questions, please feel free to ask......imp
If anyone has any advice or info, I would appreciate it. Thanks

When I put mine if 4hi I don't notice much of a difference, did you try 4low?

I looked into it some more and found that 4 auto and 4 hi are two different hings. I apologize for my stupidity. Thanks guys

Back