Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Shingle Springs, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport, 5spd 4.OHV
Callsign
Pack Ratt
Anyone ever have this happen? Temp / Compass module started cutting out intermittently, then failed altogether. Opened it up thinking I had a bad connection or something simple. Then I found a 51-ohm smd resistor rattling around in the console housing. Sure enough, the board was missing not one, but two identical resistors. They appeared to have gotten hot enough to desolder themselves! The one I found metered at 50 ohm, and looking at the board I can see they were connected in parallel to up the wattage but give about 25 ohm to the circuit. This appears to be the power circuit for the VFD.

Naturally I can't locate my assortment of resistors at this time, but some rummaging around provided a 22 ohm, half watt resistor.. soldered that in, reconnected the module, profit. If your Comp/Temp stops working, check for this. Resistors are cheap and easier to find than 20+ year old factory modules.

20220828_124255.jpg 20220828_161148.jpg 20220828_165031.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone ever have this happen? Temp / Compass module started cutting out intermittently, then failed altogether. Opened it up thinking I had a bad connection or something simple. Then I found a 51-ohm smd resistor rattling around in the console housing. Sure enough, the board was missing not one, but two identical resistors. They appeared to have gotten hot enough to desolder themselves! The one I found metered at 50 ohm, and looking at the board I can see they were connected in parallel to up the wattage but give about 25 ohm to the circuit. This appears to be the power circuit for the VFD.

Naturally I can't locate my assortment of resistors at this time, but some rummaging around provided a 22 ohm, half watt resistor.. soldered that in, reconnected the module, profit. If your Comp/Temp stops working, check for this. Resistors are cheap and easier to find than 20+ year old factory modules.

View attachment 433753 View attachment 433754 View attachment 433755
Happened to me, but my resistors were still there. Just resoldered all them and it's working again. Great info BTW 👍

Hope this helps. It's in the how to forum

Glad you got it fixed, but that resistor looks a bit heavy to be vibrating around when the vehicle is moving. I'd either epoxy it onto the board, or get the right resistors from digikey, and then maybe... still think about epoxying over them because the thermal stress that made the originals fall off, probably also lifted some of the copper off the PCB so it is not as good as new, even if the same resistors are put in.

Interesting LED array in place of the map lights! Is that the original lens over them or did you have to make or find something to fit?

Glad you got it fixed, but that resistor looks a bit heavy to be vibrating around when the vehicle is moving. I'd either epoxy it onto the board, or get the right resistors from digikey, and then maybe... still think about epoxying over them because the thermal stress that made the originals fall off, probably also lifted some of the copper off the PCB so it is not as good as new, even if the same resistors are put in.

Interesting LED array in place of the map lights! Is that the original lens over them or did you have to make or find something to fit?
The PCB traces and pads were fine. The resistor is pretty solidly braced, but I may go back in and squirt a support under it. It shouldn't get anywhere near as hot as the factory ones did, but still wanted to give it optimal airflow.

The LED panels were an ebay special, 48-led with leads, usually $10 for 10. The lens is the stock one. I also wired the two panels to come on individually with the pushbuttons.

20220828_223317.jpg 20220828_223330.jpg 20220828_223346.jpg

Hope this helps. It's in the how to forum
That's a great thread! It didn't come up when I searched prior to this post though. I might've had bad search terms or spelling...

Back