4x4 auto New Owner

D Hook

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited V-8
New to 4x4 Explorer and not sure what to expect. We just had our first snowfall, 3-4" of slushy snow and went to test out the 4x4 on my recently-purchased 02 Explorer. I left it in 4x4 Auto and did a spin around the block. The snow is slushy so not too slick. Didn't feel anything kick in or out but not sure I should, either. I had no trouble getting around, didn't feel any wheel spin at all.

Does the 4x4 Low light on the dash light up when it kicks into 4x4 automatically? On my Mark VIII, the Traction Control light kicks on whenever it detects wheel spin. Does the Explorer tell you when it's automatically kicking in to 4x4 mode or is it meant to be seamless?

Sure is nice getting out of my neighborhood easily. The Mustang would've had some issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New to 4x4 Explorer and not sure what to expect. We just had our first snowfall, 3-4" of slushy snow and went to test out the 4x4 on my recently-purchased 02 Explorer. I left it in 4x4 Auto and did a spin around the block. The snow is slushy so not too slick. Didn't feel anything kick in or out but not sure I should, either. I had no trouble getting around, didn't feel any wheel spin at all.

Does the 4x4 Low light on the dash light up when it kicks into 4x4 automatically? On my Mark VIII, the Traction Control light kicks on whenever it detects wheel spin. Does the Explorer tell you when it's automatically kicking in to 4x4 mode or is it meant to be seamless?

Sure is nice getting out of my neighborhood easily. The Mustang would've had some issues.

Sorry, I can't help you. My 4x4 hasn't worked since I bought it in Feb but that's another story. Consider this a free bump to the top! :p:

ive never noticed my 4 x 4 light coming on in auto, although a couple of blokes have said they have?

The only time the light up is if you are in 4WD High or 4WD low. 4WD low will require a full stop, brake on, trans in N to activate.Low is for basically crawling (pulling a boat trailer out of water on a ramp, deep mud, steep rocky terrain). 4WD high is for deep snow, ice, etc. (not dry pavement). No lights will be activated while in Auto (control trac).

Back