• Register Today It's free!

02 EB 4x4 High?

34Ford

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB 4.6
I have a 02 Eddie and after all these years of driving on dry pavement we finally got some snow last weekend.

All this time I thought that when its in its default Auto 4x4 it was just pulling with the rear wheels.

Well, I used 4x4 High the other day, worked fine, except for popping when making tight turns and a wheel spun.

Now here is the weird one. I found out that the front wheels pull when in the Auto 4x4 if I spin on snow.

So why would I need 4x4 High?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe when in auto it unlocks for tight turns to avoid the binding you get in 4x4 high? Just an idea.

when in auto and it detects wheel spin it will kick into 4wd. ive tested this many times going through mud with mine in auto but once my back tires start spinning like mad you can hear it click in to 4wd. when you have it set to 4wd obviously it will make the truck always spin front and rear until you turn it off. just dont turn on 4wd if its dry and the tires cant slip (i learned it the hard way with mine, the first week i got it i drove around in 4x4 not thinking it would matter and my t case blew apart)

Mine does the same thing. I think its fun to be on a patch of packed down snow, give it alittle gas and then feel the front wheels start pulling. They only pull when the rear starts to slip and then cut off. High range locks them in full time so in alot of cases there will be no slip at all.

So in effect when in 4x4 Auto its a all wheel drive when the rear slips.

I didnt know this.

Back