• Register Today It's free!

4X4 auto ????

4.0powered

Reaction score
City, State
KELOWNA B.C
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
i'm new to the 4 wheel drives and was wondering about the button above my 4X4 high switch labled auto 4X4 on my v6 03 explorer xlt ? is there a dash light supposed to come on when you press it like the 4 high and 4 low because mine dosen't. or is it there for you to press when your disinguageing the 4 high. also how does this auto 4X4 work meaning how much power is going to each wheel and is it always on when your driving. isn't just mean it's an allwheel drive. how good is this system for slipery rough road conditions before you have to engage 4 high?
thxs..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 Auto... Only kicks in when needed - use all the time
4x4 High ... Slip differential, can be used when snow covered roads, then dry, highway speeds, off pavement etc.
4x4 Low.... USE ONLY IN MUD OR SNOW, instant explosion of transfer case if used on pavement or dry roads at high way speed.
99% of most peoples Explorer's use is either AUto or high. Consult your Owners Manual or someone else can post up a better explanation for futher information.

CaptainObvious said:
4x4 Low.... USE ONLY IN MUD OR SNOW, instant explosion of transfer case if used on pavement or dry roads at high way speed.

Ever tried to engage it on the highway? Unless you have a MAJOR malfunction, it'll never engage. You must be stopped (OK, technically moving less than 3mph), in neutral, with your foot on the brakes before the case will shift into low range.

Essentially 4auto is rear wheel drive until the rear wheels slip, then the system engages for a second (not an exact time) and releases, then checks to see if they're slipping again.

4high locks the transfer case in at 100%.

-Joe

Back