• Register Today It's free!

4x4 high light flashing

3500ctd

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer V8
I Just picked up a 2002 explorer and the 4x4 high light flashes randomly in 4x4 auto. Everything else seems to work fine when I engage the 4x4 in high, Just have the light flashing in auto. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fyi

check the wires at the transfer case make sure all are connected and in good shape the grounds are known to give trouble

How many times does it flash? Here is why I ask...

I too just bought my x and before I picked it up I had the dealership put brand new tires on it... I drove it very little until the first Saturday that I had it... Took it out on the high way.. My light started to flash, it would flash 8 times then go off for about a minute... Did that the entire 25 mile trip... On the way back it did not do it at all... I believe my issue was the new tires and the x learning that it had new shoes put on her.. Has not done it since and my tires have about 600 miles on them. During my research of the issue I found that not only is the ground wire a culprit of this issue, but tires make a difference s well.. Wether it is different sizes or even different brands of tires, and even the wear between the tires that can make it flash...

Hope this helps,

that is true , i had a flat one day and my tires were pretty wore out but spare was new. at 45mph my 2003 xlt would start shifting in and out of 4wd. at first i didnt know what was happening but i finally figured out that it started when i put that tire on. got 4 new tires and hasn't done it since.

I had the same issues this past August. I installed a new ground, didn't help. I did the brown wire mod, still didn't help (liked the mod). Turns out there was grease on my right front sensor (hub bearing shot). Replaced hub & sensor assy, problem went away. my sensors were a pain to get out.
Hope this helped.:usa:

Well I ended up selling the Exploerer. There was a few other things I didnt like about it and thought I would just cut my losses. Never did fix the flashing light.

Back