no 4x4 high light flashing 10 times | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no 4x4 high light flashing 10 times

mr-hornet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
4x4 high flashing 10 times ... Fixed

another 4wd question from a newbe

The 4x4 High light will flash at a rate of 10 flashes then off for 2 min. then repeats itself.

I do not have 4x4 high or Auto.
I have 4x4 Low.

I have check all the fuses and all are good. I was told it was the control box so I dropped $200 and changed it. Still no 4x4 high. When I push the button on low I can here the clicking in the control box. When I push the High button I do not here the click.

Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more info

I know have no 4x4 low and the ABS light is on and came on after trying the low this morning

I just started to have the same problem. I would be driving and the 4x4 light would flash and if I pressed 4x4 high, it would not engage. If I turned the truck off and then back on, pressed 4x4, it would work. It doesn't work after it blinked. So, I took it to the dealer I bought mine from and ran some codes.

I also had my transfer-case rebuilt 2 weeks ago because it went out on me. I called the transmission shop that rebuilt the transfer-case to tell them what happened and gave them the codes. I will let you know what happens.

Well I ended up taking it to the dealer and they said there were no codes but that it was the electric shift motor. They also said that they tries a new control box and this wasn't the problem. (I didnt tell them I had changed it ahead of time) I then asked with it having the ABS light come on if it could be the speed sensors and was told that their top mechanic had worked on it and he knows his stuff. (He had better for $80 diagnostic fee) they then offered to install it for $350 parts plus $80 diagnostics and ???? labor I said no thanks and ordered one from napa for less than half and will atempt to install it as soon as we get a nice day.

The Fix
Short story
It was broken ground from pin 11 to a loop connector on the top bolt

Long story
I am jack of all master of none type person I can change brakes, oil, and even a fuel filter but when it come to major things I look to others for help and this was one of them. well I tried the local small time mechanic who is really good but fell ill during my time of need and the rip off of a dealer see above.

Well I got up the courage thanks to this sight to give the change a try. got under and pulled the shield just to find I have received the wrong motor went back and was told I have an older connectors and I believe it is the same as 02 so then the next day I went I started over. Pulled shield and disconnected connector this is when I see the broken wire. Cant find where it goes but is short and can only connect to motor so I continue to pull motor. and along with the top bolt there was the other half of the ring that should have been connected to the wire. so instead of $0.09 I have put into it $400 but have gained a little more confidence in the process and a lot of knowledge of how the 4x4 works.

Thanks for the updates Mr Hornet. Glad you got it fixed. Did the ABS indicator lamp turn off after you fixed the ground on the shift motor?

Ya the abs light is off and has not come on. The wire bundle also has the wires that goes to what I think are the speed sensors so I don't know if they are connected some how to the same ground. This wiring stuff is new but boy am I learning a lot from this site.

Back