4x4 high light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 high light flashing

shadytree

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4X4
Hello everyone, I'm hoping some one can help me solve my 4x4 problem. The 4x4 high light started flashing a couple weeks ago and the vehicle will not go into 4x4 high but it will go into 4x4 low and will get out of low OK by pushing dash buttons for auto or high. I did some reading online and looked at the ground wire on shift motor and it looked OK. I had the codes read at a repair shop (not a dealer) and it said P1824 4x4 elec. clutch relay circuit fault. So then I tried a new control module and still same thing. I have read about many people having similar problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

follow up on my original post about flashing 4x4 high light. I found the broken ground wire that other people mentioned. I did look for it before trying the new module but could not find it. after the new module didn't fix it I went under the vehicle again and removed the shield around the motor and then wiggled the wire harness and could see the wire dangling loose with a corroded end. soldered a longer wire with a new connector end on it and mounted it on one of the shield bolts and that fixed it. It is a black wire coming off the main plug connector for the motor. thanks for all the info that this forum provides.

Back