Solved - 4x4 High Low Light Keeps Blinking.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 4x4 High Low Light Keeps Blinking....

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

kidkay

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Sup, This problem just recently happen...last week to be exact. Anytime, I start-up my X-plorer, my 4x4 High Low lights keeps blinking. I have not engaged 4x4. When the X is in motion the light stops blinking, it blinks when I start-up the explorer or when I stop at a traffic light or stop sign. Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be? I would appreciate any help given.

-K

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a problem with your shift motor/transfer case. What you can try doing is disconnecting the electrical connection for the shift motor under the truck and then re-connect it. If that doesn't help, you may need to clean the shift motor contacts. If that still doesn't help, let us know. There are so many things that can cause the flashing internally like hall sensors that it would be difficult to diagnose it over the internet.

Flashing 4WD lights

I have this also as well as no power windows or interior lights. Found an old post elsewhere (see below) but have not had a chance to do any further checking. Maybe someone here has.

Can anyone tell me where the battery saver and accessory delay relays are located on the 97 explorer...they are not in the panels identified in the owners manual or in Chiltons.

Intermittent 4x4 System, Power Windows, Rear Wipers
Article No.
98-13-19
07/06/98
^ ELECTRICAL - LOSS OF 4X4 SYSTEM
^ LAMP - 4X4 LAMP ILLUMINATED
^ LAMP - NO INTERIOR LIGHTING
^ MOON ROOF - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
^ REAR WIPER - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
^ WINDOWS - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
LIGHT TRUCK:
1997-98 EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the Service Procedure Steps.
ISSUE
A flashing 4X4 lamp and/or a intermittent or loss of:
^ Power windows
^ Interior lights
^ Rear wiper (if equipped)
^ Moon roof (if equipped)
^ 4x4 system (if equipped)
may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by an intermittent Battery Saver, Accessory Delay or One-Touch-Down Relay operation and possible chafing of vehicle wire harness.
ACTION
Repair the affected circuit, and/or replace the Battery Saver, Accessory Delay, or One-Touch-Down Relay. Refer to the Diagnostic/Service Procedure for details before replacing any components.

I look into your suggestions and keep you guys posted.

I have this problem as well, what is this "battery saver and accessory delay relay" that you speak of and where can i find them on my '95 XLT. also im gonna check the electrical connection for the shift motor but im not sure where that is and i dont have a chiltons manual. does someone have a picture of the connection. thanks.

Blinking4x4 Lights - FIXED!

I had the same problem and I just changed out the Battery Saver, Accessory Delay and One-Touch-Down relays, just as the service bulletin denotes
(Thanks DaveWH, for posting that). Presto! No more blinking lights and the windows work like new.
Turns out, only two of the relays were bad, but I changed the third figuring it was about to go as well.
Total cost, $40 ( as compared to the $100's in diagnostics & labor at a shop).
Total time to swap out, 5 minutes.
( The relays are under the dash, right above the gas pedal and to the rear abit, behind a black plastic cover box)
Thanks to all for posting!!!

can someone tell me what the relays look like. i would appreciate it.

I never use four low in my 98 sport, but one day I put the truck in four low and could not get it out. It was stuck in four low and I could only go about 15mph max. I had it towed to the dealership where they told me I that they disconnected the front drive system and the truck was operational but the 4 wheel drive was out of commission. If I wanted it fixed I would need to install a new motor that engages the front wheels at a cost of $860. I did it and I guess the truck was working ok, kind of scared to put it in 4 low again.

By and by a month or two went by and I am driving on the highway all of a sudden the four high and low lights start blinking- for a series of ten times then stop then resume. This has been going on for about two years but I don't have the money to have it looked at and it does not seem serious as everything works fine. It seems to do it only at highway speeds and on really hot days. Go figure??

cnmgroup said:
I had the same problem and I just changed out the Battery Saver, Accessory Delay and One-Touch-Down relays, just as the service bulletin denotes No more blinking lights and the windows work like new.

WHere are the battery saver, and accessory delay located??? They are not listed in the haynes manual

change the relays!

cnmgroup said:
I had the same problem and I just changed out the Battery Saver, Accessory Delay and One-Touch-Down relays, just as the service bulletin denotes
(Thanks DaveWH, for posting that). Presto! No more blinking lights and the windows work like new.
Turns out, only two of the relays were bad, but I changed the third figuring it was about to go as well.
Total cost, $40 ( as compared to the $100's in diagnostics & labor at a shop).
Total time to swap out, 5 minutes.
( The relays are under the dash, right above the gas pedal and to the rear abit, behind a black plastic cover box)
Thanks to all for posting!!!
This advice is RIGHT ON. For $40 the relays can be changed in 5 minutes. All three are grouped together at the firewall end of the relay block. No more flashing 4wd lights and intermittent power windows. Thanks for all the posts.

Would this also happen if the battery dead and has enougj charge to listen to the radio and light up the dashboard?

What happened was the ex was parked after driving in very hot day with a/c on and parked for 2 hours wouldnt start anymore. Even with a jump, it wouldnt start. Now i am waiting for the street cleaning to finsh so i can go and replace the battery with the astro van.

It cranks once and it dies out. But still enough power for windows and radio. Still dies out if i turn on headlights and or depress brake pedal.

4x4 low light keeps blinking

Where did you get the relays? I believe I have the same issue.

Hi,
I have an Explorer Limited year 2000 and I had the same problem. I resolved by disconnecting the negative wire of the battery for 10 minutes.

I had the same 4wd high/low lights flashing on/off and 4wd would not engage on my 1998 EB Explorer. Friend told me to disconnect negative cable on battery for few minutes, then reconnect and try. I did not think much of that idea, but Googled it and found a couple references to doing that with success. I then clicked on Serious Explorations for more input as to solving problem.

I figured what the heck, try the easiest thing first, so did the battery disconnection thingy. Disconnected for ten minutes, reconnected, started engine, put in neutral, moved switch to 4wd low, nothing for a couple seconds, then shazam, clunk, and engagement with 4wd low light on. Ran back and forth on gravel drive, switched to 4wd high, engagement with 4wd high light on, ran back and forth again, then switched to auto, 4wd high light cleared. I repeated process few times with same results. Don’t know if battery disconnect cleared computer faults, or if problem will repeat later, but for now all is A-OK. So owe my bud a six pack.

By no means am I implying this will work in all cases, but like lunaka in post above, just know it did work in this one instance.

I know it is an older thread but, I recently discovered something with this 4x4 high & low lights blinking 6 times, every 2 minutes or upon acceleration. Etc. Mine have been blinking for almost a month now. Until today. Basically I read through all the threads I could find and found out it could be numerous things, I unplugged the shift motor, checked/cleaned the connection, plugged it back in, checked the fluid levels in the rear differential and transfer case, (which were both a hair under from fill plug, so I topped them up). I even tried putting it in neutral, clicking it over to 4x4 high, shifting to reverse and screaming backwards and slamming on the brakes to see if it might have been stuck in 4x4.. Nothing seemed to work. So I had a vacation coming up and the lady and I we're driving out through the rockies and wanted a safe vehicle for such a trip and I rented another SUV for a week. Upon my return and taking the explorer out for a drive, I noticed my 4x4 lights were no longer blinking. Then it dawned on me... For about a week the temperature had dropped 10 degrees or more... Now I had been driving on tires that were pumped to 35psi (the max cold air pressure) for my tires.. The only reason I had been driving at 35 psi was that when I had some brake work done at midas, the mechanic filled my tires to the 35 max cold air pressure... And being someone who usually left them at 32psi, I thought maybe it would be acceptable.. Now we all know fords placard says 26 which they recently upped to 30 for a 99 explorer... Maybe that has something to play in this..? Right now my tires are under 35 (need to even them out) but no more blinking 4x4 lights.. Go figure. I engaged my 4x4 for the first time since this crap started. And I am thinking the tire pressure had everything to do with it. I also had let out a couple pounds on the fronts at one point trying to find a happy medium while sticking to the 35 in the back, as I load the rear down with tools.. Maybe the uneven pressures had a bit to play there as well? I don't know.. But tomorrow A.M. they are going back to 32 across all 4. If the lights come back on I'll repost.

4x4 light blinks but does not engage

So I have had problems where the 4x4 light blinks when idling and driving. Yet the 4x4 doesn't work! We just replaced the 4x4 module and still nothing. Any advice?

relays

Where did you find a those 3 relays for sale? Is that a dealer only item?

4WD Hi/Lo lights blinking

98 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Just had 4 new tires fitted then lights started blinking 6 times every 90 seconds. Not used 4WD for over 12 months. Mechanic got 3 codes off the computer --- P1850, P1854,and P1866 but claims those codes do not exist
in his manuals etc. Any ideas, please ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Just had 4 new tires fitted then lights started blinking 6 times every 90 seconds. Not used 4WD for over 12 months. Mechanic got 3 codes off the computer --- P1850, P1854,and P1866 but claims those codes do not exist
in his manuals etc. Any ideas, please ?

That's what happens when you look for Ford Specific OBDII codes in a Honda Manual:D.

P1850 - Transfer Case Contact Plate 'B' Circuit Open
P1854 - Transfer Case Contact Plate 'C' Circuit Open
P1866 - Transfer Case Cannot Be Shifted

Hope it helps :)

Back