• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Light Flashing Code B1322

Bagpus

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Here are the details: 2002 Ford Explorer XLS, 4x4 light flashes 8 times then pauses fro 2-3 mins. pulled the code B1322 ( I Googled the code and came up with "Driver Door Ajar Circuit Short To Ground").... My first question is how can a door switch affect the 4x4? Anyone have any ideas?

Here are the details: 2002 Ford Explorer XLS, 4x4 light flashes 8 times then pauses fro 2-3 mins. pulled the code B1322 ( I Googled the code and came up with "Driver Door Ajar Circuit Short To Ground").... My first question is how can a door switch affect the 4x4? Anyone have any ideas?

I bet you have two problems that are not related. The flashing 4x4 lamps means somethings is wrong with the 4X4 System. Does your 4X4 system engage/disengage when you press the 4High or 4Low buttons? If not (since you have an '02) I'll bet your 4X4 Control Module is shot. See this long thread for info: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163694 If your 4X4 system still works then it's probably something else wrong, maybe one of the sensors or the shift motor.

The code for the door ajar problem probably is what's wrong with your fobs working intermittantly that you posted in your other thread. Usually when there are problems with the door ajar circuit there are other problems as well, like puddle lamps don't work right, interior lamps don't work right, radio doesn't play for a few mins after key off, door locks malfunction. Usually the door ajar lamp is lit on the dash too. Any of that going on with yours? What's your build date by the way? And where did you get DTC B1322 pulled?

Thanks for the reply... Mr Transmission here in Canada pulled the code for me. I have experienced a few occassions with the door ajar light staying on, radio has been fine, puddle lights working ok also. I suspected that I have two unrelated problems..... My 4x4 does engage & disengage when I select.. I have since had the code read again and (although I cannot remember the code) it appears to be a communication problem to the 4x4 module. As an aside any idea where the door ajay switch is located?I will look up the build date and get back to you. Thanks for all your help so far

The ajar switch is built right into the door latch. A lot times a good douse of WD-40 or other spray lube in it will clear that up.

It's good to know that Mr Tranny can get those Ford body codes. If you find our what 4X4 code your Ex is throwing let us know.

Back