• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working

r8bg

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4dr 4X4
ive got a 93 explorer with push button 4x4 and it just stopped working. press the button and nothing happens. i was getting power at the button but no lights. i changed out the shift controll module in the back on the fender well. still nothing there is a small LED light on the box and a button. i dont know if it would have anything to do with it but... i dont know if this is a notorious prob but if anyone has any ideas ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the search tool to get a lot of messages related to 4x4 not working. It must be the motor.

motor. I have replaced mine, and the new one has froze up about 3 or 4 times also. Easy fix.

so i just need to replace the shift motor on the transfercase?? i'll give it a go thxs

All you probably have to do is crack open the flat part of the motor and clean the contacts. More than likely, that is all that is wrong. Those contacts get really dirty really easy.

Here's the link for how to clean and test your shift motor.
Dead Link Removed

hey thanks i tested the motor by jumping it but the contact positions were not dirty but they were not even touching i slightly bent them in to shape and its all good now. now i have to talk the guy i got the shift control box to take it back thanks a bunch:)

Back