4x4 wiring questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 wiring questions

Duranged84

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer 4x4 4.0
Have a few questions and hope somebody has some answers on the 03 explorer 4wd systems. I've been researching and looking everywhere I can think of and still not finding exactly what I need. I'll try to keep it basic.

On my 03 awd Mounty, there's power to the two 4x4 fuses in the Underhood fuse box. I cannot find anything referenced as to what else these are used for on a 2wd/awd.

On car-part interchange, it shows computers for 2 4 and awd explorers/mountainners all interchanging depending on the number on the original ecm. Meaning each number available lists vehicles of each drive type as interchangeable. Is this correct, or partially correct pending a reflash from Ford, or?

On the diagram I found for the 4x4 module, it shows ecm input, and ABS input. Are these signals already available on the awd/2wd trucks and just waiting for somewhere to go, or again, pending a flash from Ford?

The 4x4 module is notorious for having to be replaced with one of the same number, is that based off of vehicle wiring, ecm, or matching to transfer case motor? In other words, what causes them to fry when replaced with one that's not a matching number?

I have the complete dash harness, including fuse box, Nothing cut, as Well as 4x4 module, complete transfer case, and harness that goes between module to the 4x4 shift motor. All pulled from the same truck. Can I swap dash harnesses, and install the module and harness to case motor and go, or do I need the ecm from the donor 4x4 as Well? Any underhood wiring I need to change since there's power to the 2 4x4 fuses?

I do have the ecm, security module, and key/switch from the donor if I have to use them. The engine, trans, transfer case, and engine and trans harnesses are from the donor truck and it drives perfectly with no codes or pending codes in 4000 miles.

If I do have to use the donors ecm, it was an xls, will it play nice with my Mountaineers other stuff, like temp and compass, can I use my mounty cluster without issues? I have manual hvac, and no message center (want to keep the mercs correct original miles), but do have adj pedals, heated lighted mirrors, and auto dimming rear view and rear hvac. Does anybody forsee any issues with the lack of options of the xls, using the dash harness?

Ok, weather permitting, Dash is coming back out later today. Its past time to do the recirc door. I removed the door and blocked the hole last year, sick of fighting the fog. We had tornado sirens going off 2 nights ago and horrible pouring rain and I was a mile from shelter. Could not see at all and trying to wipe window, tons of freaked out drivers running stop signs/lights, wrong way in roads, etc. anyway, its past time.

I pulled the entire hvac box out of my parts truck before junking it so I already rebuilt the box/door and modified it to keep it where its supposed to stay. Supposed to be a break in the rain next two days, so dash is coming out. 4x4 Wiring and Recirc box going in.

Still debating swapping the donor trucks ecm/security module/key. Since my truck has the compass and temp in the instrument cluster already, and the components are there, will they still work with the XLS Ecm? Is it in the ecm at all or just in the wiring/sensors available? I dont want to fry my 4x4 Module or anything else for that matter.

Back