How to: - 2020-2023 XLT Liftgate Finish Panel - Chrome to body color conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2020-2023 XLT Liftgate Finish Panel - Chrome to body color conversion

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Paul Fithian

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Job 1 RWD V8 Limited
Here's how I changed the chromed bezel over the license plate to body color on an XLT. Once this assembly has been removed from the vehicle, the chromed bezel can be separated from the body and refinished.

Back side of assembly looks like this, a series of snap legs molded in the chromed bezel hold it to the body:
LFP Assembled.jpg

LFP Bezel Front-Back.jpg

Carefully pry these legs apart and use a non-marring tool to prevent them from snapping back in to place. Work from one side to the other
LFP Snap Leg Detail.jpg
LFP Spacer for Snap Leg.jpg

Remove the weatherstrip along the top edge
LFP Weatherstrip.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean and sand the bezel with 240 grit wet or dry, wire brush any areas as needed to scratch them up for good paint adhesion. I used a self-etching primer, PPG Omni Plus MBP (Ford UM Agate Black) in a Preval sprayer, and SEM 40903 clear. This will get polished to a high gloss after installation on the tailgate.
LFP Sanded.jpg

LFP Primed.jpg

LFP Painted2.jpg

Nice writeup. I added 3 months to your Elite account.:chug:

Thanks, it's on my to do list, but unsure if I want to go body-color or something like satin black. Long,long-term plan is something of a ST-Limited look.
How is the panel attached to the liftgate? Just trim clips, or are there any screws?

Thanks, it's on my to do list, but unsure if I want to go body-color or something like satin black. Long,long-term plan is something of a ST-Limited look.
How is the panel attached to the liftgate? Just trim clips, or are there any screws?
I'm not being a SA but he said before the first pic, 'a series of snap legs molded in the chromed bezel hold it to the body'

Thanks!

The LFP is attached to the liftgate sheet metal with 6 10mm plastic screws from the bottom and 5 blue plastic snap pins at the top, shown in the first picture of this thread.

First you have to remove the inner panels from the liftgate, snapped in with the orange and white pins shown below. Take out the top center piece, then the sides/bottom. Careful with the wiring to the liftgate button, remove the connector and take off the entire lower panel.
Liftgate inside panel.jpg

Take out the six 10mm bolts from underneath the LFP from the outside then you have to unsnap the 5 blue pins holding the top edge to the body. I found a small socket pressed onto the blue snap legs from the inside enables them to be easily popped out. Unhook the electrical and washer fluid (if found) connectors to separate it from the liftgate.
LFP Fastening Bolts.jpg

Here's how it turned out. I'll wait a week or so before buff polishing it to a gloss.
LFP Agate Black.jpg

Is there any chance that you have a photo showing washer lines ? Mine have nozzle but not connected. Thinking to buy some hose and connect it. (Couldnt find the part in stocks)

The one I removed from my son's 2022 XLT (bottom) had a washer nozzle at the camera and hose with a connector at the end. Check also first picture in this thread

My 2023 XLT (top) did not have a washer nozzle at the camera or hose in the liftgate for a connection.
LFP With-without camera washer.jpg

Note also wiring color differences.

I'm not being a SA but he said before the first pic, 'a series of snap legs molded in the chromed bezel hold it to the body'
I'd assumed he meant that held the 2 halves of the LFP together.
Thanks for the additional detail Paul

Back