• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Explorer powered Ranger

Stage 2 Dan

Reaction score
City, State
NW Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger
I would like to take a moment to thank all of the members of this forum who helped me with tips and information, that made this swap successful.
This is my first Ford powered vehicle, with a EFI swap.
I am a Auto Shop Instructor, and the project vehicle is my 1999 Ford Ranger 2wd. This engine swap was performed by high school students that are enrolled in my Auto Technology class. This swap has taken more time than it should have, but given the mechanical ability of the average high school student, I am pleased with their timeframe and their results. The basis of this swap was to show today`s young and upcoming future technicians that performance engine swaps can be performed, while staying within EPA emission guidelines.

We have a couple little drips from the trans cooler lines, but thankfully we didn't have any major issues.
Hope to have everything tightened up this week and embark on it's maiden voyage.

Thanks!
Stage 2 Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Dan, congratulations on the project.

For the trans lines, if they are the flared connections, place an o-ring down in the seat of the female side. Just a thin well fitting o-ring will stop those leaks, and much better than cranking the fitting really tight.

Do you have any pictures of the Ranger?

Yes I have some pictures, however(I am new to this technology thing) I haven`t figured out how to upload them from my phone via my computer. Hope to do this soon.
Update I have successfully passed the Indiana emission testing inspection. I was worried if the test would cross reference the vehicle vin number to the engine ECM. This was not an issue passed with flying colors.
I Was a little concerned because I had deleted the secondary Cats.,but the Rangers never had the rear scrubber cats.
Next step is do some more homework and develop a plan on adding a rear mounted turbo with a liquid to air intercooler. I think that I can hide the components that would cause problems with the Emission Control people.What i am worried about is getting a possible tune to be EPA friendly with a mild 6-8 pound turbo set up.

Yes I have some pictures, however(I am new to this technology thing) I haven`t figured out how to upload them from my phone via my computer. Hope to do this soon.
Update I have successfully passed the Indiana emission testing inspection. I was worried if the test would cross reference the vehicle vin number to the engine ECM. This was not an issue passed with flying colors.
I Was a little concerned because I had deleted the secondary Cats.,but the Rangers never had the rear scrubber cats.
Next step is do some more homework and develop a plan on adding a rear mounted turbo with a liquid to air intercooler. I think that I can hide the components that would cause problems with the Emission Control people.What i am worried about is getting a possible tune to be EPA friendly with a mild 6-8 pound turbo set up.
You will need to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket since you are not an Elite member.

Have one of your students show you how. They can probably accomplish it in les than 5 minutes :D

Did this thread die a painful death?

Did this thread die a painful death?
By the sound of things, sadly. Only just saw this but I'd love to hear and see how this project came out! Hoping they come back for this eventually

One of the high school kids crashed it into a fire hydrant on maiden voyage, not being able to handle the extra ponies... ...?

One of the high school kids crashed it into a fire hydrant on maiden voyage, not being able to handle the extra ponies... ...?
Oh dang, that's upsetting. That may be why...? The student come out okay?

@Stage 2 Dan hasn't been seen since December 3, 2019. I don't think that he would have needed remote hosting for his pictures. I was hoping to read a short, cut and dried swap from a 5.0 Explorer to a 1998 and up Ranger just to see what Explorer/Ranger differences that came up during the swap. I know how to do the swap but it could have been good info for a home mechanic. I'm going to go look in some other categories for a Ranger 2WD 5.0 swap and see what I can find.
Edited: I just looked in the modified Explorations section and everything in there is old. Like 1999 to 2005.
Edited again: Even when I've google searched and end up on the Ranger forum the several 5.0 swaps I've read, the threads die.

Any specific questions? Mine is 4wd but I'm glad to attempt to help.

Nice work, thanks for working to inspire the next generation!

That is a another great thread for the 5.0 swap. Be sure to post or make note there, that the V6 radiator is much more desirable. The V8 radiator is hell to install, and the V6 version bolts right in place using the V6 condenser mounting bracket. The radiators for all of the 2nd gens can be had in both thicknesses, the owner should decide if they want the thick one, or the thinner version. Ford made that change in the 1998 range, but they all will swap around, the V6 simply requires that special(great) condenser mounting bracket. I will go buy a couple of those V6 brackets when I get to it eventually. I've done the V8 radiator R&R twice now, I don't want to do that again. I rebuilt my V6 1999 truck not knowing the radiator might be tough, but in that truck it was nothing to install it. The V6 radiator sets right down in place in about ten seconds, then you install the two upper mounting bolts.

The V8 radiator is hell, you set it in about 85% of the way, then you look at the three areas where the radiator and condenser have to hook together. You adjust the location of the radiator, starting to get the bottom passenger side to get close to the locking clips. Then you spend a minute or two starting that right side together. Then you look at the left driver's side mounting parts again. You look at it fr a good while seeing how the parts have to go together. Then you begin to move the radiator up or down to get it closer. You adjust the trans lines because those interfere with the movement of the radiator. You move the radiator some more and watch it hand up on the left mounting points, the bottom and the side slot, plus the frame. You keep going back up top and looking down at how the radiator has to hook onto the condenser. A lot of time goes by while you keep looking at those different conflicting parts, and the condenser mounting clips etc. It is a long process, if you haven't done it, expect to cuss it a lot and spend 30 minutes of more figuring out what is hanging it up, stopping it from going where you want it to.

Eventually, you will figure out how the radiator has to be located near the condenser at the top left side, and work out how to get down to the middle locking clip parts to engage the radiator there, plus doing the top clips at the same time. Once you finally get the left clips to begin to mesh with the radiator, then you will be close and carefully force the condenser clips onto the radiator, and lock together.

That whole install of the radiator could take a person an hour or more, maybe have to get help. A person who has done it before, and good at car work, they might do it in 20 minutes or less. I would rather skip all of that, and do the V6 radiator in less than ten seconds. That one you slip down in place, past the trans lines, in several seconds, total. The V6 condenser is mounted by itself onto its special lower mounting bracket, not onto the radiator.

99 SOHC V6 condenser.JPG

Condenser bracket SOHC V6.jpg

For what it's worth, I just dispensed with the condenser mounting bracket entirely. Still using the OEM V8 radiator, but the condenser is tucked into the core support and zip tied into place. Much, much easier to work with that way.

That is a another great thread for the 5.0 swap. Be sure to post or make note there, that the V6 radiator is much more desirable. The V8 radiator is hell to install, and the V6 version bolts right in place using the V6 condenser mounting bracket. The radiators for all of the 2nd gens can be had in both thicknesses, the owner should decide if they want the thick one, or the thinner version. Ford made that change in the 1998 range, but they all will swap around, the V6 simply requires that special(great) condenser mounting bracket. I will go buy a couple of those V6 brackets when I get to it eventually. I've done the V8 radiator R&R twice now, I don't want to do that again. I rebuilt my V6 1999 truck not knowing the radiator might be tough, but in that truck it was nothing to install it. The V6 radiator sets right down in place in about ten seconds, then you install the two upper mounting bolts.

The V8 radiator is hell, you set it in about 85% of the way, then you look at the three areas where the radiator and condenser have to hook together. You adjust the location of the radiator, starting to get the bottom passenger side to get close to the locking clips. Then you spend a minute or two starting that right side together. Then you look at the left driver's side mounting parts again. You look at it fr a good while seeing how the parts have to go together. Then you begin to move the radiator up or down to get it closer. You adjust the trans lines because those interfere with the movement of the radiator. You move the radiator some more and watch it hand up on the left mounting points, the bottom and the side slot, plus the frame. You keep going back up top and looking down at how the radiator has to hook onto the condenser. A lot of time goes by while you keep looking at those different conflicting parts, and the condenser mounting clips etc. It is a long process, if you haven't done it, expect to cuss it a lot and spend 30 minutes of more figuring out what is hanging it up, stopping it from going where you want it to.

Eventually, you will figure out how the radiator has to be located near the condenser at the top left side, and work out how to get down to the middle locking clip parts to engage the radiator there, plus doing the top clips at the same time. Once you finally get the left clips to begin to mesh with the radiator, then you will be close and carefully force the condenser clips onto the radiator, and lock together.

That whole install of the radiator could take a person an hour or more, maybe have to get help. A person who has done it before, and good at car work, they might do it in 20 minutes or less. I would rather skip all of that, and do the V6 radiator in less than ten seconds. That one you slip down in place, past the trans lines, in several seconds, total. The V6 condenser is mounted by itself onto its special lower mounting bracket, not onto the radiator.

View attachment 341959

View attachment 341961
I don't think that frame was that nicely painted from the factory
Or you found a gem

I don't think that frame was that nicely painted from the factory
Or you found a gem

I painted the front half which was the clip I welded to the 1993 back half/clip. Believe it or not, that paint is the same single stage, same gun, one coat, but I painted it late, just before dark. The night humidity and temperature dulled the finish. I didn't mind, it looks factory actually. I only painted to just past the weld line, most of the bottom parts had full gloss, and the upper parts turned dull.

Projectthread028.JPG

Thanks for all the input guys. When I have time I will read it thoroughly before I ask any questions. I have been pulled 3 different directions late this week. Wife is in the Hospital, She's ok. Found out this afternoon that the 17 YO oldest grandchild has Covid-19. And my Wife's stepbrother died in the Hospital from complications with Covid-19.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, sorry to hear that bad news, bless you and your family. Take care, I also have had three people I know with terrible news, who have come to have cancer or die of a heart attack(who did have cancer). Things go in waves, let's hope something really good happens soon for a lot of us.

Back