5.0 swap manual trans q's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap manual trans q's

Hey guys, I've searched and read througha few threads about doing the 302 swap but curious about my application. I have a 1995 2WD 4 door manual trans explorer. The 4OH is tired and rebuilding and supercharging is far from sensible money wise. Last I was at the pull-a-part I saw 2-3 explorers with the complete 5.0s still in em. With swapping this engine into a manual trans explorer can I just run the T5 since I know the Mazda trans won't bolt up? What about an ECM? Any idea if the 94-95 stang GT will work? With my exploder not being OBD-II and there being no OBD-1 5.0 explorers from the factory is standalone my only option? Or could I run stang ECM/stang engine harness/stang distributor instead of coil pack, and the T5? Any ideas on length and possibly having to shorten driveshaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe easier to take the 4W70 transmission with the 5.0 and install both? And take the ecm, wiring harness, etc, etc as well.

No auto for me! It wasn;t terribly easy finding a 2WD manual trans 4 door as is. I reckon I'll have to measure transmission lengths and try and get an idea on overall drivetrain length. May have to pioneer this swap.

Don't reinvent the wheel

No auto for me! It wasn;t terribly easy finding a 2WD manual trans 4 door as is. I reckon I'll have to measure transmission lengths and try and get an idea on overall drivetrain length. May have to pioneer this swap.

Another member like me, I respect that!!! I hate automatics..... anyways

From what I recall a 97-03 f150 v6 pickup is the 5 speed you're looking for to bolt behind a v8.

I am looking further into this myself for the same reasons.... tired v6, that and I spent too much money trying to make the v6 run again.

Well for the time being I swapped in a low mileage 4.0 that I picked up from LKQ for a steal. I'm on the fence between putting a 5.0 swap together, or springing for a GM 5.3 with auto trans, or a T56 if I can win the lottery.

Yeah but that one started life as an OBD-II 5.0. I'm OBD-I, so that's where I'd be hung up. I'm on my 3rd 4.0 as LKQ can't seem to get it right so I'm now considering the 5.0 again. I'm thinking I can use a stang longblock w/ distributor and wiring harness, and then truck accessories, exhaust manifolds, and the f-150 trans/clutch/flywheel.

Back