Completed Project - 5.0 swap - w/ 4406 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 5.0 swap - w/ 4406

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fing a

Well hello there you got a nice project going on. New to this site. Was searching for transfer case compatability for explorer when i found you and v8 boat builder. i got a 97 explorer and am wanting two do the same. it is currently 2wd. got 2 98's 5.0 awd for parts. someone mentioned 2wd and 4wd outputs on 4r70w trans the same i dont think so looks like they bolt up different. was looking at that when i did 5.0 swap in my 2002 ranger. Question can i (empty tank and flush with soapy water first of course) use BFH to make necessary room for 4406 electric shift module. Hard 2 find undamaged sport tank around here. Without buying new ouch. Oh and i love the awesome ford blue on your project. Sadly i am never much for looks. Daddy always told me chrome dont get you home.

The shift motor for a TOD BW 4406 will be located right where the front tank brackets is on 4dr tanks. The only choice for a TOD version, is to use move the tank bracket rearward to the short tank location.

I myself have a dented Sport tank, and want to keep 22 gallons. I have and 1993 tank from my old Limited truck, it's plastic, 22 gallons, and the same length as a later Sport tank. I plan to modify it to mount the later top sensors and the pickup mount too. That may or may not be easy or permanent. I bought a fuel rated epoxy, but have not yet begun the project.

You have to use a shorter tank to have an electric shift BW 4406. I suggest using whatever Sport tank you can get. You might also be able to do what I'm going to with a 91-94 4dr tank. Get yourself a late Sport tank, and install that first.

Ok so you are saying a gen 1 tank is shorter do you have 2 dent it some. Also what is with the cutting of the 4 door gen 2 front tank mount about found something on here where they did that but cant find again. and thanks for clairifying. would a non tod 4406 fit with stock tank.

I am also interested on how this blown project is going. they say no news is good news so mabey he has been having tooooo much fun with it 2 post something.

You can get a manual 4406 to fit with the normal 4 door tank. From what I've seen though, you have to modify the front tank bracket in this situation to allow clearance between the bracket and the tail shaft of the transfercase.

I bought a 2 door tank brand new from spectre because the junkyard one I got originally had a hole in it that apeared after I sandblasted it. The new tank was just over $100 if I remember right.

I'm still waiting on the exhaust to get done. I stopped over there yesterday to see how it was going and he got the down pipes made up finally. Hopefully another week or so and I'll be able to fire it up!

Ok so you are saying a gen 1 tank is shorter do you have 2 dent it some. Also what is with the cutting of the 4 door gen 2 front tank mount about found something on here where they did that but cant find again. and thanks for clairifying. would a non tod 4406 fit with stock tank.

First get the short Sport tank like Andrew just posted above. That will provide clearance for the electric shift motor of the TOD transfer case. If you would rather have the manual shift TC, then you will need that TC, the shift levers, and you can keep your tank etc, by reworking the tank bracket.

If I ever get around to cutting on this plastic 22 gallon tank, I'll post a thread on how to do it. I have a Sport skid plate already to help to hold it in place. The front of the 91-94's doesn't have mounting bolts in the tank like 95+ tanks. Those use the one main strap, and the skid plate.

Cant wait for some video or my own test drive lol when you get back from muffler shop

:dead::dead:A floppy tank kinda sounds like a rub spot waiting 2 happen especially plastic versus metal

The skid plate supports the whole tank, and it attaches to both the front bracket and the rear cross member.

Attachments

• 93-98 4dr tanks.JPG
    93-98 4dr tanks.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 545

i just figured a plastic tank would be alot different cant wait 2 see how you modify it 2 accept pump and evap sensor sounds like liquid steel time

Ok so update to my project.. I got it back from the exhaust shop, it looks awesome but I don't have picture yet. I was too busy last night trying to make it ready to start.. And that's when disaster struck. I put about a gallon and a half of coolant in and it started pouring like a river out of the crack between the head and the block on the drivers side... Looks like there isn't a head gasket in there at all. I've never seen or heard of anything like this and I'm sooo pissed right now. Just about 6 months of work and it looks like I'm going to have to tear it all back down. You would think you can trust an engine builder to do the job right but I guess not. I'm in so much disbelief I can't even think about what to do next...

Ok so update to my project.. I got it back from the exhaust shop, it looks awesome but I don't have picture yet. I was too busy last night trying to make it ready to start.. And that's when disaster struck. I put about a gallon and a half of coolant in and it started pouring like a river out of the crack between the head and the block on the drivers side... Looks like there isn't a head gasket in there at all. I've never seen or heard of anything like this and I'm sooo pissed right now. Just about 6 months of work and it looks like I'm going to have to tear it all back down. You would think you can trust an engine builder to do the job right but I guess not. I'm in so much disbelief I can't even think about what to do next...

That sux bro, walk away for a day or two. You know it will all be worth it once you're done. :thumbsup:

um....yea.....i would be a tad pissed off to!!! nice to know when you fork out your hard earned dollar to someone to do the job the correct way, they are too busy thinking about how much they just made from you. lets hope thats all thats wrong with it.

Id be wondering what other pieces they may jave forgotten or not put in that they say they put in. Ie hard parts etc

That is disappointing, frustrating etc. I hope they don't give you any lip about correcting it, that they just make it right.

Just a thought a reminder it was just at a different shop mabey the muffler shop blew it up not knowing it didnt have water who knows who is to blame. But that totally sucks.

Yeah, I'll be talking to them tomorrow. I took the day off from everything yesterday. Today I worked on wiring the wide band sensor, electric exhaust dumps, and electric boost gauge. Those parts are almost done but I have some finishing up to do on it. I am personal friends with the guy that did my exhaust and it was never started at the shop, they pushed it on the lift and any time it needed moved.

I pulled all the plugs on the driver side and plugs are clean, never fired. Then I proceded to roll the engine over with the starter to check and see if there is any coolant in the cylinders... There wasn't so that's good at least. Something that did make me excided though was it actually started on the right bank of cylinders for a couple strokes and I shut if off before it even make a complete revolution (I think, lol). That made me pretty happy that I know everything I've done is right and it will start when I finally get this thing fixed.

As you might be able to tell I'm in a little higher spirits today but I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

I don't know if any of you have heard of this place but I'll share. Yesterday I went to Put-In-Bay (an island on the south east side of Lake Erie in Ohio) to cool off. It's get away party place and we shared 6 bottles of wine from the local winery amongst 5 people.. We had some fun!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I talked to the engine builders today about the engine and they have no idea why its leaking so bad. All the head studs and nuts are tight and there is deffinately a head gasket in there. They are going to come out to my house tomorrow night to help tear it down, diagnose what happened, fix it, and be here for the initial start up.

I talked to a friend of mine today about it and he thinks that maybe they forgot to put permatex on 1 or 2 of the head studs and coolant is leaking from the coolant jacket through the studs. Does anyone think this is possible with it leaking as much coolant as I'm describing?

Back