• Register Today It's free!

5.0L throttle body spacer

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
I was just curious about a throttle body spacer for the 5.0. The only ones I can find are for a 1998. I e-mailed Airaid asking them if the spacer would work on a 2000 and they said they weren't sure. Does anyone know if the spacer would work on a 2000? What would the differences in TBs be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Throttle body spacers seem to be ineffective. Search around the site. Pretty hard to find any good press on them. And on one member's Explorer, it was dyno proven to do nothing. Granted, he has a different engine, but I have never seen any evidence that this mod does anything in any Explorer.

the 96-2000 5.0L should be the same, throttle body size and placement wise.
the upepr intakes changed in 97 with the P heads, but the only difference there is the internal/external EGR setup.....

IMO spend your $$$ on something that works

I have one on my 2000 5.o eddie baur.It does give me alittle better gas milage.I make a 4 hour trip 3 times a month and i did notice i get better milage.No power gains at all.Mine is a power aid but i think they lied,It should be called gas aid.HAHA.Spend the money on something better.My loss.

Do the spacers make a whistling sound? The only reason I'd consider getting one is for the gas mileage gain and the "cool" whistling sound they are claimed to make. Would they work with a MAC intake?

TheJMan said:
Do the spacers make a whistling sound? The only reason I'd consider getting one is for the gas mileage gain and the "cool" whistling sound they are claimed to make. Would they work with a MAC intake?

I've heard TBS are a tight fit with most intake setups. I think they work with KKM because you're using the stock intake tube. That's my understanding with 4.0 applications. No idea about the V8.

You would buy an expensive piece of plastic providing minimal (if any) gains because it makes a whistling sound? :eek:

celly said:
You would buy an expensive piece of plastic providing minimal (if any) gains because it makes a whistling sound? :eek:

Well, I would get one for the potential gain in mileage, the "cool" whistling sound would be an added bonus. :D

On the v8 thier is no whistling sound.I havn't noticed any change in gas or power.This thing is a 124 dollar piece of sh%&.

caveman1 said:
On the v8 thier is no whistling sound.I havn't noticed any change in gas or power.This thing is a 124 dollar piece of sh%&.

Another "satisfied" TBS user. But people continue to buy that snake oil. :rolleyes:

celly said:
And on one member's Explorer, it was dyno proven to do nothing. Granted, he has a different engine, but I have never seen any evidence that this mod does anything in any Explorer.

Who's Explorer was that?

celly said:

Actually, they are made of aluminum, nor plastic.

aldive said:
Who's Explorer was that?

Sorry, forgot that you didn't have time to test it. Just re-read the old post and saw you managed to test one of the Tornado snake oil thingies, not the TBS snake-oil.

Doug904 said:
Originally Posted by Robb
I was hoping for a TBS test?

Sorry, we didn't have time. I can tell you that the added space provided by the TB spacer means nothing.

Doug

aldive said:
Actually, they are made of aluminum, nor plastic.

Me bad again. Doesn't discount the fact they're ineffective according to many in the know.

aldive said:
Ceely, how did the TB Spacer work in your truck?

Al, I knew enough not to waste the money. You normally bow down to Doug with everything he has to say about tuning and what works and what doesn't. Don't get me wrong, Doug is as knowledgeable as they come and I swear by his advice. Why don't you agree with him this time?

Seriously, I studied these things a ton from many sources. I searched this and other Explorer sites, but also Googled like crazy all over the web and the newsgroups. I once considered getting one and outside of yourself, never really saw anything to suggest that they really work on an Explorer or more newer vehicles for that matter. Over and over again I read that their is no gain achieved by installing these on a fuel injected vehicle. Seems to be an application on carbureted applications, but obviously that's old school.

You really must have a hard time admitting when you're wrong. You're a very knowledgeable guy and a good source of real world information in many cases. Just not this time it appears.

Celly, I reckon the main difference in you and I is that I actually test a product before forming an opinion on it.

I am not defending this product since I have not dyno tested it to see if there is any power difference, however, I have seen an increase in gas mileage with the product.

Any yes, I do listen to Doug, a man who is very knowledgable, and I no longer run a TB Spacer.

I reckon what I am trying to say is that its best to actually test before you badmouth any product.

Al, I was looked around for many months for good press on the TBS and found little. I read everywhere about the hazards of cigarette smoking. Does this mean people should start smoking just so they can find out for themselves? This analogy doesn't really apply to me because I smoked for a lot of years before I quit, but what about those who haven't smoked before and want to keep others from doing it? Are you saying their opinions aren't valid because they haven't smoked before?

I'm just trying to keep people from wasting their money. I never even pretend to speak from experience when I steer people away from a TBS and always qualify my statements with the fact there isn't much good press out there on the product.

I guess based on my background as a researcher, I am one who doesn't accept "it won;t work", "you can't do that", "its junk". "a waste of money", etc.

I have several US Patents on products that those "in the know" said wouldn't work.

If I listened to the masses, I wouldn't be able to get 30 MPG in an Explorer either.

I guess my background as an accountant (I'm the Canuck equivalent of a CPA) drives me. I'm less likely to spend my money on something unless there's a reason to do so. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I finally broke down and bought a Powerdyne Powerplate for the 5.0. Everything seemed to bolt up ok, but I can't get the throttle cable bracket to line up correctly. It doesn't line up with the threads on the coil pack, and it comes dangerously close to the wires going to the coil pack. Anyone able to give me some pointers as to how to make it work? I'm inclined to return it if it doesn't work.

Back