5.4 swap 03 Mounty | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

What year mustang did you put the PI heads on? If it was a 96-98 GT, then yeah it would make a difference because they are better designed for flow and would increase the compression a little more than the heads they replaced. I doubt it would be worth swapping 4.6 heads onto a 5.4 though. A 5.4 swap seems like you have to fabricate headers no matter what unless you have measured to see if the stock manifolds will even work. I would just swap the 5.4 3V in and get it running before you worry about adding any performance mods to it.

they went on a 2002 Ex 4.6. The originals were damaged in an engine incident(I'm still not sure what happened to this kid's Ex but it bent valves, dinged up the cumbustion chambers and one was absulotely un useable, so his dad got those heads( They came fully dressed and ready to install.) and I put them on for him. (note: the install kit is pretty comprehensive, I would recommend buying the kit for anyone doing this head swap)
Also, the stock manifolds will fit but will require a pretty serious offset downpipe to get it to clear the framerails. This would definitely have to be fabricated and welded because the complex bends won't let it be bent on a mandrel or tubing bender.

the only other clearance issue I'm concerned with is the driver side head to the master cylinder. looks like it will be OK but a little tight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

installing a body lift sounds like it would make the swap alot easier. i could be wrong but when i look at mine with the body lift i have alot of clearance in the back of the engine

installing a body lift sounds like it would make the swap alot easier. i could be wrong but when i look at mine with the body lift i have alot of clearance in the back of the engine

I think there's going to be plenty of room, hardest part I see so far is the exhaust. Still thinking out the electronics......wondering if I have to use the 5.4 ECM or not. I'm almost ready to pull the 5.4 out, then I can really get some measurements and decide if I'm going to do it or not.

I think there's going to be plenty of room, hardest part I see so far is the exhaust. Still thinking out the electronics......wondering if I have to use the 5.4 ECM or not. I'm almost ready to pull the 5.4 out, then I can really get some measurements and decide if I'm going to do it or not.

Your 4.6 ECM will run it just fine though a custom tune would greatly benefit the set up.

I wouldn't mess with a 3v even if it was free at this point. To use it in a 2v application you have to buy a VVT delete and such. You'd be better off with a ported set of stock heads. I wouldn't bother with Ford Racing heads either. They are just PI heads which your explorer and any 2000+ 5.4 will already have.

Your 4.6 ECM will run it just fine though a custom tune would greatly benefit the set up.

I wouldn't mess with a 3v even if it was free at this point. To use it in a 2v application you have to buy a VVT delete and such. You'd be better off with a ported set of stock heads. I wouldn't bother with Ford Racing heads either. They are just PI heads which your explorer and any 2000+ 5.4 will already have.

the 5.4 in the truck is a Triton, doesn't that indicate a 3V? it is(soon to be was) in a f-150. What would I need to convert it to 2V? Just the heads and timing cover off my 4.6? (I assume a new timing chain for a 2V 5.4) Which manifold?

I don't think triton means jack other than it's a Mod motor in a truck. They called them Triton from 97 to present weather it was 4.6 or 5.4, 2v NPI, 2v PI, 3v or whatever. A V8 in a 97+ Fseries is a "Triton"

IIRC 97-00 are non PI heads, 00-03 are PI heads and 04+ (except heratage) are 3v heads when it comes to a 5.4L

this is an '02 and it is definitely a 2V, looked at another f-150 3V and it's way different on the heads. so I'm basically looking at unbolt and unhook the electronics, bolt in and connect the 5.4, figure out the exhaust downpipes and drive away. the electronics aren't an issue? what about the MAF? use the 4.6 or the 5.4 or are they the same?

Use the 4.6 MAF unless you get a tune specific for a different MAF. Electronics should be fine. You may have to swap a sensor or two in the event that they may take a different plug but I doubt it. Ford does like to throw a curve ball at us like that some times, however almost all screw in sensors on Fords are 3/8 NPT so in that event just swap the sensor.

By the way, where the hell is Bloomingdale? If it's not too far I wouldn't mind giving you a hand doing this. What would you want out of your old short block when you pull it out? I want an aluminum short block for my stang.

Okay, had the tape out and the exhaust will not be a problem, should be really close on the 2V 5.4.. the more I check into this the more surprised I am nobody's done this yet.......

Okay, had the tape out and the exhaust will not be a problem, should be really close on the 2V 5.4.. the more I check into this the more surprised I am nobody's done this yet.......

Me too actually. Like I said, its been on my mind but I've got too many other projects on my plate right now to afford the time or money.

he said it can be done with a few mods he said it would cost between 3400 and 4000

So I could spend $4,195.95 for an explorer express supercharger set up, and still have to install it, or I could use about the same amount of cash for a 5.4 install? Would I have to do more in the way of modifying since I just have the 4.0?

hell if you dont have this done by the timei get back ill drive out and give you a hand. i have 3 months payed vaction so id love to help out with a project like that. time well spent. im about 12 hours away but def. worth it

So a 5.0 would fit?

This place is bad for me. I am getting too many ideas I want to try out.

just to be able to say i had a 5.4 in my third gen would be motivation enough to try this! please if you attempt this, pull out the camera and keep us updated, every....10 minutes! good luck!

I don't know about pointless, but you would have to do more in the way of fabrication, and you would have to put more money into it just to get the base hp of the 5.4. It would be interesting, and I would definitely take a second look to be sure of what I was really seeing if I ever came across it.

5.0 is a pushrod not a mod motor, would be EXTREMELY hard and pointless.

in order to race my truck class 15 they only allow 5.0's with straight axel and devers

so 5.0 i go

every thing cost money if you dont have money drive a honda or some thing that is just a daily driver

but for me custom any thing is the way i live

i wont be cought in some thing some one else has

why not a stroked 4.6 if it has to be a 5.0L just buy a 5.0 shortblock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back