5.4 swap 03 Mounty | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

im going with a 4.6 stroked to 5.0 with a supercharger. then its on to the diffs and axles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hell if you dont have this done by the timei get back ill drive out and give you a hand. i have 3 months payed vaction so id love to help out with a project like that. time well spent. im about 12 hours away but def. worth it

You're only about 6 hours away, almost a straight shot out the Turnpike west. Thanks for the offer of help, I'll let you know....still waiting for the Mrs. to say I can do the swap.

Okay all, Here's the dirt. It's will be a very easy( unbelievable) swap, I'm guessing out on Friday, 5.4 in on Saturday, Tweak and drive on Sunday. the exhaust issue is being settled by cutting the pass. side headpipe after the cat and installing a 10" flex section from Summit Racing. Everything will clear the framerails and AWD so for now that's the best(read Cheapest) way to go. I will post lots of pics, as I plan to do a Magazine style step-by-step write up of this swap. The 5.4 is ready to go in, the parts are here, just need the weekend time to get it done.

So I could spend $4,195.95 for an explorer express supercharger set up, and still have to install it, or I could use about the same amount of cash for a 5.4 install? Would I have to do more in the way of modifying since I just have the 4.0?

I don't know what would be involved in swapping to a V-8 from the 4.0, but if I was going to do it I would definitely use a 5.4L. They're readily available in the boneyards and cost the same as a 4.6. No replacement for displacement! Just as a note, If I had to buy a 5.4 from the boneyard, I would still have less than the cost of a supercharger, and the 5.4 has 50 more HP and 85 ft/lbs more torque than the 4.6. Around here you can score a replacement motor(complete) for less than $700.00 even as low as $200.00 from th U-Pull-It yard.

id like to see how the swap goes but if you dont start it till after jan 2010 then im in for driving over there. i love doing swaps like that!!! haha actually i hope you wait haha. hell id help you if you wanted to help me swap in my 5.0 i have a garage to do it in but i would be installing it by myself so extra hands would be great!!!

id like to see how the swap goes but if you dont start it till after jan 2010 then im in for driving over there. i love doing swaps like that!!! haha actually i hope you wait haha. hell id help you if you wanted to help me swap in my 5.0 i have a garage to do it in but i would be installing it by myself so extra hands would be great!!!

Putting in a pushrod 5.0 would be ALOT of work!! I've already planned this and it's basically ubolt the 4.6, bolyt in the 5.4. The bellhousing and the elctronics are all the same.

I'm taking notes on your install so I can drop in my 4.6 DOHC Mach 1 engine. I've got a harder path since I'm going from V6 to V8 and I have to swap trans cases.

im swapping in a fully built 4.6 stroked to a 5.0 that way i can break it in and upgrade my pulley right off the bat. then tune and drive it

I'm taking notes on your install so I can drop in my 4.6 DOHC Mach 1 engine. I've got a harder path since I'm going from V6 to V8 and I have to swap trans cases.

You're going to have ALOT more clearance issues using the DOHC. There's just not much room for the heads to get any wider.......It's been awhile since I've posted but just catching up.....

After reading about all about swapping a 2V 5.4 into a mustang, I cant see why this swap wouldn't work with a little elbow grease.

I'm diggin the idea of a swapped 5.4 stang right now.

After reading about all about swapping a 2V 5.4 into a mustang, I cant see why this swap wouldn't work with a little elbow grease.

I'm diggin the idea of a swapped 5.4 stang right now.

Where have you read about a 5.4 Mustang Swap? I was asked by a potential client about this...I think fundamentally its the same thing....

oh so your more on the east side of ohio okay. well when i do my motor you wanna help me cuz i have never had the motor out of the mountaineer before. i'm sure its not a big difference from swapping the countless engines i swapped in my honda besides the extra 4 cyl. i'll drive out to you if you want. if you have a garage that would be awesome

Definitely subscribing to this thread. When I have the time and money, I definitely want to put a 5.4 liter into my X....

Where have you read about a 5.4 Mustang Swap? I was asked by a potential client about this...I think fundamentally its the same thing....

200+ pages with a lot of information, some dyno numbers and pics.

http://mustangboards.com/modular-4-6l-tech/9238-anyone-intrested-5-4l-swaps-here-need-you-opine.html

problem is sorting through the 200 pages... I'm on 178 right now. It seems that if you are doing a straight 2v 4.6 to 2v 5.4 you only have very minor issues to address along with a tune. It's when you start thinking about the 3v and 4v 5.4 that more things come into play.

I may pick up a 99+ GT with a blown engine just to throw a 5.4 in and start playing - I would think the torque would be just so much fun!

the 5.4 is much taller than the 4.6 and i think your mounty has the "nice" 4.6. if im not mistaken its a dual overhead cam and 32 valves

You are mistaken. The "nice" or DOHC 4.6 only comes in the following vehicles.

Lincoln Mark VIII
Lincoln Continental
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Qvale Mangusta
Panoz Esperante
Ford Mustang Mach I
Mercury Marauder
Lincoln Aviator

And p.s., OP don't bother with a 5.4L. Get a 347 and toss it in. Higher displacement than a 5.4L (330c.i.) and it also is a 5.0L derivative. It will fit better and make generally more power. Not to mention there are more mods for 347s vs. 5.4L's.

I don't think triton means jack other than it's a Mod motor in a truck. They called them Triton from 97 to present weather it was 4.6 or 5.4, 2v NPI, 2v PI, 3v or whatever. A V8 in a 97+ Fseries is a "Triton"

IIRC 97-00 are non PI heads, 00-03 are PI heads and 04+ (except heratage) are 3v heads when it comes to a 5.4L

Only the 5.4L engines are known as Tritons... The 4.6L's are not included under the Triton namesake. They are simply Modulars. That also includes the 6.8L V10.

You shouldn't waste your time with a 5.4L. More weight than its worth. Stick with your 4.6L and put your time and money into it.

despite what these people say, i say go for it man...i dont know about other places but in alaska you can only drop in a motor from the same class of vehicle from the same manu, from the same year or newer...so a 5.4L swap would be street legal here in alaska...you could make 5.4L DOHC swap fit pretty easy(because the are wider going toward the center of the block, the exterior dimensions arnt that different from the 2v heads). keep us informed man.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seriously, three posts in a row, all saying pretty much the same thing? On some forums we call that "post whoring"....;)

But anyway, if the 4.6L would be a better option, then why do they start the GT500's out with a 5.4L and then build from there? Probably because it's .8 more liters and has more potential. And if the extra weight isn't that big of a factor for a Mustang, what makes you think it will be for an Explorer?:rolleyes:

Back