• Register Today It's free!

5 continuous bells on startup

snafu72

Reaction score
City, State
South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I own a 2000 Explorer XLT and am the original owner. The vehicle has over 185K miles on it and has been a steady performer. Recently the oil gauge wouldn't pop up and the local mechanic changed the oil pressure sensor. While the vehicle was being driven there were (and still are) a series of 5 consecutive bell tones x 3 in a series. Then there will be a pause for an indeterminate amount of time and then the 5 tones x 3 will occur again. It always occurs immediatly after the vehicle is started.
The vehicle has been hooked to the computer and the error codes were taken off (the last one was the EGR sensor which will be replaced next week).
When the mechanic uninstalled the speaker so the tone would not sound the electric windows would not work.
Sooooooo, he's stumped and another garage I called had never had this happen to them either (a Ford garage in a nearby town).
Is this an indicator of something seriously wrong with the vehicle?
Is it an annoyance?
What would cause this to occur and what, is the potential solution?

Any assistance appreciated!

OBTW this is my first post and I am not trying to play stump the chumps!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turn your ignition switch to the "ON" position. Does your "AIR BAG" indicator lamp illuminate??? Nope..........

That's what the series of 5 beeps is telling you, that the bulb is burned out. Also there may be a SRS fault when you replace the bulb. You can't shut it up 'till you change the bulb!;)

I do not see the airbag light so maybe thats the key to the puzzle. If that makes the difference then that would be great. I do know that the dash was taken apart when the mechanic tried to disconnect the bell so maybe when the dash was put back on somehow the light was broken or not plugged back into the socket (if that is what is supposed to happen Im just guessing).

Thanks

I doubt the light was damaged when the buzzer was disconnected.

If either the Check Engine light or Airbag Warning light burn out, you'll get that buzzing (different sequences depending on the problem). The buzzing is to make sure you know there is a problem since the the warning light is burned out.

I think the reason you no longer have power windows is that the connector the mechanic unplugged to disconnect the buzzer also disconnected part of the power windows controls (they're both part of the GEM). Though if he unplugged what I think he did you wouldn't have working dome lights, 4WD, rear defroster, or wipers...

You'll need to replace the burned out bulb in the instrument cluster (there are a few god threads on it if you want to try doing it yourself). After that, get that connector plugged back into the GEM and you'll have working windows and no more annoying buzzer.

BTW, was your airbag light or check engine light on for a long time before the buzzing started?

hworksinc, I haven't run into the CEL indicator failure causing a chime sequence. Can you reference that for me?

Restraints Control Module (RCM)

The restraints control module (RCM) carries out the following functions:

signals the inflators to deploy the air bags in the event of a deployable crash.
monitors the air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) for faults.
illuminates the air bag indicator if a fault is detected.
flashes the air bag indicator to indicate the lamp fault code (LFC) detected.
communicates through the data link connector (DLC) the current or historical Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
signals the generic electronic module (GEM) to activate a chime if the air bag indicator is not available and another SRS fault exists.
When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then on), the air bag indicator will prove out by lighting for six seconds and then off for two seconds. After the prove out, the air bag indicator will then flash the two-digit LFC. If an SRS fault exists, the air bag indicator will flash the LFC five times, then it will remain illuminated for the rest of the key cycle. The RCM will also communicate the current and historical DTCs through the DLC, to the scan tool. If the air bag indicator does not function, and the system detects a fault condition, the RCM will signal the GEM to activate an audible chime. The chime is a series of five sets of five tone bursts. If the chime is heard, the SRS and the air bag indicator require repair.

the check engine lite and the airbag lite were on for awhile. that could be the culprit!
thx!

5x5 chimes

I've been putting up with the 5 chimes 5 times for a while because my air bag indicator lamp is burned out. In order to replace the bulb the instrument panel must be pulled because the bulb is not accessible otherwise. There are threads on the forum for pulling the instrument panel. What an aggravation just to replace a bulb!

a friend on mines 97 ex did the same thign i changed the air bag bulb and the beeping stop with no other issues been a few days now

I'm amazed that when I called a local Ford garage the man on duty answered that he'd never heard of this issue. Maybe its rather rare but for the number of responses I've gotten to this issue it may be more prevalent than he knew!
Thanks for all the responses. Its been great to have everyone basically "chime in" with the same response.

J

It's the bulb, I've seen it a lot.

Diag, R&R cluster, and replaced air bag light bulb. Unit retested OK.

Sorry, it's the Service Dept. in me.

hworksinc, I haven't run into the ECL indicator failure causing a chime sequence. Can you reference that for me?

I'm assuming by ECL you mean the Check Engine Light (aka Multifunction Indicator Lamp). I don't have any documentation for that, only my own experience. I tried replacing the bulb with an LED - after that I got a chime every time I started the vehicle (not the same as the airbag one). Swapped back to an incandescent bulb and everything was fine. The only incandescent bulbs in my dash are the Check Engine and Airbag lights.

I'm assuming by ECL you mean the Check Engine Light (aka Multifunction Indicator Lamp).

Yeah, that's just my dyslexia kickin in!:rolleyes:

I don't have any documentation for that, only my own experience. I tried replacing the bulb with an LED - after that I got a chime every time I started the vehicle (not the same as the airbag one). Swapped back to an incandescent bulb and everything was fine. The only incandescent bulbs in my dash are the Check Engine and Airbag lights.

Okay, I was just not familiar with a chime for any reason other than for the air bag lamp malfunction.:thumbsup: The "trouble" with LED's, which is supposed to be the "advantage" of them, is that they draw so little current that vehicle systems think they're missing/burned out.IE: your chime, fast flashing turn signals, etc. :(

BTW, I notice you're an amateur doctor. I was an FBI for years but getting married, the second time, ruined that career!
(FBI = Female Body Inspector ) :p:

Hi, I have a 1997 sport.
I guess I am going dash diving too. :cool:
I get the "5 chime 5 times" at start
and randomly after 10-15min of driving,
with no air bag or check engine bulbs working.

I almost got into the idea this was a fasten seatbelt-chime?

PS perhaps add a resistor to fool the system, in order to use LED?
make sure the ohms on a stock-bulb matches the ohms on LED+resistor?
wait I am not sure... let me get back to my model rockets...

Back