• Register Today It's free!

5 speed drag explorer

chevyeater

Reaction score
City, State
north plainfield nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 explorer
I have a few questions and im new on this forum. Can i swap a 96 f150 distributor, 5 speed 2wd trans and computer in 97 2wd explorer? I am going to the junkyard Monday. Also would anyone have any suggestion on transmissions what about a built up t-5.

You can get a 5 speed out of a 97-03 F150 and the shifter will come up right at the stock location in an explorer. There are threads about 5 speed swaps.

Why swap to a distributor? DIS is better and more tune-able. You will need a tune to put in the 5 speed anyway. Swapping the F150 ECU in would either involve piggybacking it onto the stock explorer ECU, or it would mean a complete re-wiring of your truck, replacing the dash, and replacing the instrument cluster.

I know DIS is better i was just wondering would it be easier than finding someone to retune the computer. From my understanding the auto transmission computer will not like this swap. i appreciate your input ill try it your way. IM used to Fox body and SN95 mustangs and i was wondering if i do the swap i dont want it to shift like a truck, what can i do to improve the 97 f150 shift smoothness. Would i be able to fab it so i can keep my center console.

Just look through the threads other people have done on the swap.

here's one to get you started

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248285

It is AWD to 4wd, but it should answer many of your questions.

You can also use the earlier 5 speeds from F-150s, but you will need the shifter plate from the later F-150 to get the shifter to come out in the right place.

There will be a few other issues you will need to deal with that are specific to earlier 5.0s, VSS for one, but this way you at least get a start on reading stuff.

Don't bother with a T5 unless you want to watch how fast you can grenade that junk in a 4500 lb truck.

Back