5R55E dipstick O ring replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E dipstick O ring replacement.

Doubt Incarnate

Reaction score
City, State
"Franktucky", Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
Ok, its a noob ? but i searched for "5r55e dipstick leak" "5r55e o-ring" and "dipstick tube leak" and havent really found anything that helpfull.

I picked up a o-ring to replace the old one since it looks like it was leaking. After i spent 10 mins :mad: on the one single nut that holds the tube in place i pulled the tube up rather easily, that kinda bothered me. I looked underneath and didnt see an o-ring on the tube, and i stuck my finger in the hole (almost got it stuck too, that'd be fun huh?) where it goes into the tranny and felt around as well as i could and didnt feel one there either. i even used a peice of wire to see if i could snag one out but no luck. Is it possible that they forgot it, or maybe it got old and broke off? I probly did this wrong, i stuck the new ring on the tube and pushed the tube back in but the o-ring kinda slid up under the shoulder on the tube and i can still see it even tho i pushed/pulled the tube in as far as i can

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, that nut holding on the dipstick tube is a bear to reach.

It sounds like the old O-ring is broken and gone. If the new O-ring is sealing between the tubes, you're OK even though it shows. If it is loose on the top tube, I'd try to move it further down; maybe wipe some grease on the tube/O-ring to make it slide down easier......

If you find the tube seems "short" straighten out the bend a little between the bolt and tranny, that will make it a little longer. If that doesn't work, elongate the bolt hole so you can push it in further.

Bill

sorry for the absense. at first i thought i was going to replace one where the it looks like 2 tubes meet but it wouldnt seperate there, it just pulled out of the tranny case, i didnt see an old ring there so thats where i stalled the new one. i did lube it with some atf before i stuck it in there. i wonder if the old ring broke and fell off onto my cat, and that was maybe what all the smoke was about one day. it never smoked that bad again must have been fried rubber.

Resurrecting this one from the dead.... But anyways, I just did this today. Got tired of having ATF dripping onto the exhaust and smoking. I couldn't find an o-ring on mine either. Just used one that fit the tube from my stash of misc o-rings. I put a thin layer of RTV on the tube and o-ring also. Lets hope this cures the leak, it was a real bear to snake the tube out and especially back in. Had to remove the air intake and a radiator hose to be able to snake it back in.

Back