• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Reverse Servo

kwinters2

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac
Hey all quick question about the reverse servo in the 5R55E. I replaced my VB today and in doing so I upgraded the O rings on the reverse servo to the Viton D rings. Installed them and then let the assembly sit in the freezer till I was ready to install. Come install time it was tight and I had to put some serious pressure on the body to get it to go up into the bore.

Does that sound about right? When I first took it apart the "plunger" just fell out. Once I added the D rings it would catch and sit in the bore but would not go in far enough for the cover to go on. Once I applied pressure and gave it a good push with my palm it went in and stayed. Am assuming hydrualic pressure will move it from here on out.

Just want to check on this as I dont want to get this buttoned up and find out I am out reverse.

Cheers and happy pre turkey day!
Kinley

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kwinters - I was hoping you would have received a reply. I had the same issue as you. I replaced the VB and decided to tackle the low reverse servo as well. I had trouble putting the large D-ring on without twisting but I did get the smaller D-ring on the servo. I also put a new large O-ring on the servo. When I pushed it back into the bore it was extremely tight. I wondered like you if the pressure would be enough to move the piston. So I removed the smaller D-ring and replaced with a new O-ring. It was still tight in the bore but not near as tight as the D-rings. I will say that I still have the same issue with reverse engaging fairly slowly.

Since you have not received a response did you hook everything back up? Did you have any problems with your reverse?

No havent finished the job yet. Just got done messing with adjusting the bands and putting the pan back on. Tomorrow I will finish up the pan and put the fluid in. Will know then how things turned out. I will post up then.

Kinley

The 5R55E does not have a spring in it.

Kinley

All hooked up

Got it all hooked up and appears no issues. Goes into reverse without a problem. Dare I say, without jinxing myself, shifts and does everything like it is supposed almost like it did when I first got it back in 2005!!!!!

Cheers
Kinley

Kwinters2 - Great news. I guess I will drop my pan again and install the D-rings. Getting really cold around here so I will tackle this in a few months.

I have noticed that since I installed the new VB it actually shifts better through the gears.

Back