• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Transmission Questions

dallasmef

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Several threads here point toward a faulty shift solenoid 2, but I wanted to explain the entire scenario to make sure I don't leave anything out.

Several weeks ago, my OD light started blinking. I tested the OD button on the gearshift and it worked fine. So, I just thought it was a fuse or something electrcical. I had no idea it was the same thing as a "Check" Transmission light. About 2 weeks later, the car started fine and about a mile into my drive, the transmission slipped and lost power and would not go into any other gears. I stopped turned it off and it worked fine. About a week later, I was driving about 100 miles and when I exited the highway and slowed down, the transmission flared again. I pulled over, turned it off/on and drove on home with 3 other flaring incidents.

Next morning, I started it up and it ran fine. I did some research and found some blogs that indicated transmission problems related to thermostat, so I decided to change my thermostat which had been stuck open and was not heating up the engine to normal operating temperature.

I noticed that my transmission fluid had been overfilled so I siphoned it out and added in 1 quart of Lucas oil fix to the proper level.

After the thermostat and Lucas Oil, the flaring seems to be worse.

Now, when it starts cold, it goes in gear just fine...with no blinking OD/Off light. It shifts normally into drive and up to the 3rd gear flare or if I come to a stop. Next, the OD light comes on and it will not go in any gears.

And, when I turn it off to reset the codes, it does not go in gear every time. But, if I let it sit for about 5 minutes, it shifts through 1st and 2nd gear just fine.

Today, I checked to see if it would hold power in fixed 2nd gear (not DRIVE). It winds up to 2,000 rpms and about 20 mph. After a few hundred yards, it flares whether or not I stop or slow down.

It won't drive far enough for me to limp it down to AutoZone to check the trouble codes.
Perhaps I can remove the solenoids and take them to have them tested.
Will the Ford dealership test the solenoids?

The various threads here point to the Shift Solenoids 2
I just wanted to make sure I mentioned all of the following:
thermostat replacement
the overfilled tranny fluid
the Lucas Oil addition ( 1 qt)
the turning off/on to get into gear
loss of power when Manually in gear 2 before the flare

Are all of these symptoms still consistent with shift solenoid 2 for the typical 2/3 flare?
What about electronic pressure control solenoid?
What about valve body gasket while I'm in there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks BrooklynBay

I started it up this morning and it went into R just fine and in 1st gear manual.
I drove it about 1/4 mile before it lost power/flared. It would not go into gear until I turned if off and let it sit a few minutes.

Texan01 came over this afternoon with a ScanTool to pull trouble codes.

Same thing happened as before. It flared after driving it about 20 seconds and the OD light started flashing. But, the ScanTool did not show any codes. How can that be?

I had the same od problem too. One day i was driving down the interstate and tried to speed around someone and it did it just fine but when i stop at the store reverse made a loud noise i put it into dive and the noise was still there i made it home and drove the next day again the heavy noise while in drive. the next day riding again i came to a light and tried to take off and it stalled out on my and died i cranked it again it stalled i have to reverse into a parking lot again kept trying to get it to go in just drive and it stalled every time i let it roll in neutral and got up to speed and put it in drive and it got me home seems like it is stuck in second????? 1 low will let me take off but i gotta give it some gas it isnt slipping and i can put it in drive when i gfet up to speed but when i stop i got to put it back in 1 low will that hurt to drive it like that and what is exactly the problem here i would like to fix it but want to know what it is

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!

When you say LUCAS oil product, I'm guessing you mean the one intended for Automatic trans. -I've used their products and usually have good results with them, improved shift etc. - But not for the symptoms you described.

I have had extremely good results on several vehicles using the SEA FOAM
transmission product, it's not heavy bodied like the LUCAS, and I think it has more of a penetrating effect, possibly freeing up sticky solenoids.

I have used it when vehicles became absolutely undriveable- much like you
describe. As indicated on the can, you will need to drive around to let it work.
The results for me were very dramatic and almost immediate, within 15 or 20
minutes operation was returning to normal.

Back