• Register Today It's free!

90 b2 won't start

4x4troy

Reaction score
City, State
middleburg,fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt 5.0 awd
i have a problem.i was not getting fuel .well my pump was not working.checked everything down to the pump and it was bad...i replaced it and pump works great now...but it still will not crank without spraying starting fluid in the throttle body. it will shut off once the fluid is burnt off.i get pressure in the rails but its like it does not get any to the injectors.its a 1990 b2 with a 2.9 and 5 spd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like you have bad injectors, maybe why your pump fried, trying to hard to pump fuel through them. also what psi do you have at the rail?

all the injectors at the same time? also i have power to the injectors but it is constant...according to my testlight.i do not know my psi...no gauge.

check the psi at the rail, that's your main thing, your not getting fuel where it needs to be, Ive checked fuel pressure with a dial tire pressure gauge, they work for that once or twice. if your thinkin that your not getting a pulse to your injectors then i suppose thats a different problem, but i always check the most likely things first.

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive fuel pressure tester. I believe you need 25-30 PSI at the test port on the rail. Doesn't seem possible that all injectors failed at once, so I would suspect not enough pressure for them to actuate.

Bill

If it is a '90, it should only have one pump in the tank. 86-88 2.9L have a transfer pump in the tank and a pressure pump mounted on the frame rail under the drivers floor pan.

Bill

its a 90 and only has one pump.it is brand new.if it is not getting enough pressure...what would it be,the fpr?its after the shrader valve.
the pump comes on it short burst...once when you turn the key on.i took the filter off and sent power to the pump and only one burst then nothing.it shot a hard stream out but should it stay on because it can't build pressure with it on a open line?

I believe that if you "open" the shrader valve with the key on the pump should run and fuel should squirt out of the valve and continue until the valve is closed. Then as pressure builds to the 25-30 psi point, the pump should shut off.

If the pump is running at all, I believe the fuel pump relay is OK as it is powering the pump. You could check this by jumpering power to the fuel pump to see if that makes it run continuously.

If that isn't it, I hope someone else has a suggestion for you.

Bill

the pump is running,just not long.when i pulled the fuel filter i powered up the pump it shot fuel out the line for about 3 seconds then nothing.

Jumper power to it and see if it runs continually with the filter off or shrader valve open. If not, it could be a bad pump.

I had trouble on my 88, replaced the pump and it still would quit running occasionally. This turned out to be the inertia relay under the dash above the right front floor mat. I just jumpered it out and it has been fine since.

Good luck.

Bill

i did that .the pump runs constant but still no crank....unless i spray starting fluid then only runs afew seconds.
i have the interia jumped,i jumped the rely. the fuel pump stayed on but appears to not be getting fuel to the injectors or past the fpr.guess i will replace that next and see what happens.

The FPR is on the return side of the system. The ECU is set up to run the pump for a second when the key is turned on. This primes the fuel rail to ensure you have enough fuel and it's close to the required pressure. Remove the vaccuum line from the back of the FPR and turn the key on. if you have gas spurting out of the vaccuum port then the FPR is shot and will need to be replaced. Since you have gas going to the filter, what about after the filter? if so then move up stream to the fitting at the engine. If you have fuel there then check before the FPR. Will need to remove it to check. If it's good till there then check the fitting after the FPR. If it pours out when you turn the key on then again the FPR is bad. It should be blocked untill you get a vaccuum source on the back side of the valve.

ok just went out and pulled the vac line....did not start it...did not have to...gas poured out the line.now will this keep it from firing up?orwhen i replace the fpr should that fix it being it appears to be bad?

With it leaking it's not building the required pressure in the fuel rail. with it leaking like that it's likely flooding the intake with gas. pulling out one of your spark plugs will tell you. if it's wet then it is flooding the engine. if it's dry then it is likely not enough fuel pouring into the intake, through the vaccuum port, to keep it running. change out the FPR and your golden.

thanks a bunch...i was about ready to sell this thing.but looks like it may live...lol

untill you find out the cost of a new FPR.:rolleyes: Might be wise to go on a wrecker run and pick up a couple used ones to try. buddy of mine was looking at new ones because of the oring seal leaking. he ended up just fixing the seal.

$90 for one....that ain't too bad.especially if it gets it running.

it was the fpr and funny thing is i sold the truck...lol made one heck of a profit...getting another one in better condition this weekend.thanks for ya'lls help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back