92 4.0 tired engine | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 4.0 tired engine

Out of curiosity could I do a 4.6 out of manual mustang and use that 9 inch read end
That motor is wider than a 460. It's been done but it's a major job. The mustang uses an 8.8 like the explorer, but it's weaker. 28 spline axle shafts vs 31 for the explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That motor is wider than a 460. It's been done but it's a major job. The mustang uses an 8.8 like the explorer, but it's weaker. 28 spline axle shafts vs 31 for the explorer
Ok I now you are leading me to the water of using an after 01 set up but now I wonder what about the 4.0 set up out of a newer explorer or should I stay away from that aswell? Thank you for your patience and knowledge sensei!

Ok I now you are leading me to the water of using an after 01 set up but now I wonder what about the 4.0 set up out of a newer explorer or should I stay away from that aswell? Thank you for your patience and knowledge sensei!
The newer 4.0 sohc, it has a known set of problems. Timing cassettes, and you don't have the choice of a better transmission. The easiest swap will be a 302 or 351 from a 93-95 vehicle. Swap kits are available.

The sohc 4.0 does not fit your frame and suspension very well and your 92 a4ld transmission would never hold up.

Converting from a 92 to a later model v6 requires the same amount of fabrication,
Plumbing, wiring and wrench work as the v8 swap and you are still left with a crappy weak v6 auto trans

The 302 has been put into these trucks since 1991 when they came out, some yahoo out there stuffed a v8 into one on day one I am sure of it! I stuffed a 302 into my 88 bronco ii back in 05 and still use it today no major issues since

The 302 from a 96-01 explorer can be bolted in using available conversion parts and when completed you have a 3/4 ton drivetrain
josh likes to recommend the 351 over the 302 because it would be super *****in, but honestly the 302 fits like stock, it is easier to work on under the hood then your old 135hp 92 4.0
You can go from mild to wild here. These v8 swaps have been done for $2500 all the way up to $25000 just depends on what you are
Building and why

Putting a 97 gt40p 302 and 4r70w automatic into my bii was the best thing ever!! Many many years of trouble free running, 260+ Hp and 3/4 ton toughness… fits well in the truck and it has been done so many times you are not reinventing the wheel

I had 7 transmissions in my bronco ii, 6 of them were behind the 4.0… finally I went v8 and well no more trans or engine changes needed… she just starts runs drives she doesn’t care if it’s -20 or 120 out the 302 is bombproof and so is the 4r70w auto behind it. In a 92 they are overkill. I keep my ac and cruise control with the swap gained a bunch of power as well as a 135 amp alternator and a metal power steering pump that does not whine

I recently built another 5.0 rig, this time with a 5 speed manual m5od-r2. This requires a simple computer tune, very affordable these days, and was well worth it. With the 302 and 5 speed I am very happy she is so much fun to drive and gets decent mpg for a v8 4wd 4 door

All of those has been documented here on ef

Also using the later model drivetrain into your 92 is completely
Emissions
Legal even in California as long as you retain the stock emissions components… another reason to consider the 302 v8

The 351W fits the 1st gen Explorer almost as well as the 302. A specific oil pan and a little notching the plastic hvac box. If I was building it for me, I'd like something that could do 75 mph at 1400 rpm. If your looking for something quick in the 1/4 mile, the 302 is a better choice.

I’m at 1750 rpm +/- at 75 lol with 35s and 4.10 not terrible!

To clear my headers I have a pretty large hvac box *****, it did slow down the ac quite a bit, not as much airflow but the ac is there and works. The 351 would require a similar notch and some fancy exhaust manifolds or headers to avoid notching the frame rail

Man josh I wish I had a 351 lying around!!! I would do it!!… I have a few 302 and a 400 lol lol

The word is “notch” why would the forum censor that??? Hahahaha

I agree and a 92 4 door is 1000 heavier then a bii

I would love to swap my 94 to a V8, you guys are really selling me on it! Lmao

ExplorerDave92,

I have driven a 302 v8 converted 1993 4dr Explorer / 456 gears as a daily driver for 20 years. It will get you around, but not a tire burner. 302 torque is at high RPMs vs. the 4.0 or a 351 where torque is at lower RPMs. If you can get a stroked 302 to pass emissions in your area that is what I would suggest. Remember a stroked motor will likely need the computer reprogrammed. My 302 blew a head gasket after 100K miles, so I am in the process of rebuilding and replacing it to the tune of $7k all in...I am upgrading to a TrickFlow cam to see if I can get a little more out of it. The 4dr is heavy no doubt.

Along with Jamie and others happy to share part numbers for the conversion if you go that direction...

Be well...

Back