93 - 96 OD A4LD SWAP / glacier / anyone? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 - 96 OD A4LD SWAP / glacier / anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you want to know? How to put a '93 A4LD into a '96 (presumably 4.0 and not 5.0)? or how to put a '96 4R55E (transmission used behind V6 models) into a '93? Or how to put a '96 4R70W (transmission used behind V8 models) into a '93?

I wiped the info after I seen the 4R is in the '96, not the A4, which I am supposing makes swapping the 1996 trans into a 1993 pretty damn impossible..

IF IT were possible, it would be a 1996 4r44e swap into a 1993 behind a 3.0 . the 4r44e is a 3.0 trans.

This is all in a ford ranger...

I'm not familiar with the 3.0, so I can't say for certain if the bellhousing bolt pattern change. I don't expect it did, but I can't say for sure.

I expect the 4R44E should bolt in just fine in place of the A4LD. The main issue would be with the electronic controls. The A4LD only controls 3-4 shift and TCC lockup electronically. The 4R44E is all electronically controlled. If you can find a stand alone controller (they are expensive, and I've only seen them listed for the 5R55 transmissions), then it might not be a difficult swap. Either that or you end up installing the entire '96 engine management system into the '93.

Which would be pointless at this point. I guess I finish rebuilding the AL4D

Back