• Register Today It's free!

93 Ex A4LD shifting problems

Watchman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport-4WD
Hey Guys I need some help here. When I drove to town yesterday I noticed that my auto trans wouldn't shift from first to second. Had to really push the RPMs ... then it shifted up ... then hard into 3rd and then hard into 4th. Reverse is fine. Can you give me a thread that may have already covered this ? I looked online and things point to vacuum lines and/or modulator valve. This is new ground for me ... Never did anything with the tranny before except change fluid/filter. Thank s for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fluid level FIRST before tearing into the vac modulator. The A4LD likes its fluid level to be in the range on the dipstick, it is persnickity about that.

If the fluid level is fine, check for trans fluid in your vacuum lines under the hood. If any is in there, you have a failed vacuum modulator.

There are some really good threads on changing the modulator, if you have to go that far with it. They may be in the sticky section, in the Tranny subforum. Later when I am at home I can find the thread(s). I recently did this job and can offer some tips, too. But check the fluid level first...on level ground,...with a warm engine...engine running, shift into all gears and back to park. Then check the dipstick.

Thanks Rhett, last time I checked it .. it was over the hot mark by an inch or so ... is it that touchy ?

Being overfull can cause issues. The fluid gets whipped into a froth by the moving parts and the pump can't pump air bubbles and will cavitate. Also air bubbles compress and fluid does not, hydraulic action in the valves fail and the trans will not work properly. Not to mention too, that if the pump isn't pumping then lube oil isn't getting where it should. That can cause serious damage to the trans.

Thanks Rhett, last time I checked it .. it was over the hot mark by an inch or so ... is it that touchy ?

Yes it can be, for the reasons mentioned above.

Here's the thread I said I would find, on changing the vac modulator via the center hump:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263904

I'd get the fluid level and quality right first -- that way you can rule them out as the cause of the problem -- way before even considering the vac modulator job.

May also want to look into cleaning/replacing the governor. They are a known issue with the not wanting get to go into 2nd problem, not sure about the hard 3rd and 4th shift. Good luck with it!

The issue is also with 2-3, and 3-overdrive. It then runs fine, but when I slow down to a stop ... the issue starts all over in upshifting. I will check fluid level tonight ... had to cut grass last night before rains came. Without bringing engine to operating temp, I am going to use my hand pump thru the trans dip stick tube to siphon level down to cold level. This may be my problem. I will post as soon as I can. Thanks for everybody's help.

Ok .. checked trans dipstick ... fluid level on cold engine, is 2 inches past the cross-hatch area ... didn't realize it was that high after I changed it this past winter (Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic) .... I will pump out to get fluid level down to just inside cross hatch area ... engine is cold (though it is 90 deg outside). What is the next step here ? If it is vacuum lines, which ones and where, etc ... again .. I am on new ground here . Thanks

Fluid level should be measured with a hot engine, and engine running, shift thru all gears and back to Park.

Ok ... hand pump didn't work (works in bottle of trans fluid but not in dipstick tube ... worked last winter !!)... must be due to warm weather ... I guess I couldn't get a good seal around the tube. Any ideas ?? Too bad there is not a plug on the pan.

Ok Rhett ... will see with hot engine and shift as you said ... then will recheck fluid level.

Alright ... checked per your instructions ... level is right at D of the "don't" ... so about 1/4 inch above the cross hatch .. What do you think ?

That little bit shouldn't make a difference. Have you ran the truck yet?

Do you have the auxiliary transmission cooler on your truck? If you do, you'll see it behind the grill, with two hoses going into it. If you have it, you can easily drain a little fluid out. Un-do one of the hose clamps where it contacts the metal hard line, put a container underneath, and run the truck for a few seconds that way. 7 seconds = 1 quart drained on my truck. I'd probably drain 1 quart.

You can always add fluid easily if you drain too much out.

Rhett - With the level as I described above do you think that will help ? I do have the auxiliary cooler I believe ... I did order the towing package when I bought the truck new ... I will check tonight.

92exp4x4 - I did run the truck down the street last night .. here are the symptoms ... when driving in 1st no problem ... then from stop driving with the shifter in 2nd it runs in second ... but starting in D, you have to run the RPMs up high 3K+ to get it to upshift ... same in OD. Reverse works normal, although it does have a small clunk when you shift it into R.

I am tempted to take it to the trans shop that rebuilt it in 2006 when I had 187K on the truck ... It now has 331K. These symptoms I described above just started last Thurs pm when I drove it into town ... No issues or tell tale signs before then.

You should probably let the trans shop have it to replace the governor. Easy job and since they rebuilt it, they could do it quick. Have them change the fluid as well, wouldn't hurt. Also stick an in-line filter on it (see my signature for details).

I'd bet that it's just the governor. Having the fluid a pinch high won't hurt. Foaming isn't likely with all the additives, the chances are higher that it will just puke out the excess through the breather tube when it gets hot. My A4LD likes fluid to be pretty high up anyway. If it gets low, the clutches won't engage when cold. Your issue doesn't sound like a fluid level issue. With the mileage you have, I'd bet the governor is crudded up or scored.

Rhett - With the level as I described above do you think that will help ? I do have the auxiliary cooler I believe ... I did order the towing package when I bought the truck new ... I will check tonight.

Probably not. I agree with the post above, probably sticking governor since it is affecting more than just 1-2 and 2-1 shifts. The reverse clunk is pretty common on A4LD's but it is discussed in some of the old threads here. As I recall it has to do with pressures and low/reverse servo. Some of the rebuild kits address this I think.

That's pretty neat that you ordered your truck new and still own it. If you have towing pkg you should have the auxiliary cooler up front.

With that many miles, I probably would be taking it to a trans shop myself. Not many people would keep a vehicle that long, that's awesome!

I'll call the trans shop this am. I'm hoping this is not a big problem. Thanks for all the advice. I'll post after talking to them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Called the Trans shop. He felt it could be a broken band and was concerned that if it was indeed the governor, then usually that indicates that metal is breaking down inside the transmission and indicative of a more serious problem. However, as he said, this is all speculative until he can look at it. I'm bringing it in early next week and will update.

Back