• Register Today It's free!

93 exploder start problems

jinkey

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ford exploere
Hey guys. I have a 93 ford exploder xlt, an I'm having some problems with the car. in the morning the car turns on fine but once i turn it of and then try to turn back on, it wont. i get one single click from the starter relay and nothing, the battery is new and the alternator is also and so is the starter relay. Now i don't know what to do, i feel bad since this car is 20 years old and its starting to give me problems like this now. but what do you think it mite be? please and thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Check the battery connections. The first gen battery cables have a tendency to corrode internally (inside the wire bundle) requiring replacement and the terminal connections must be very clean.

Also check that your starter is working properly. You can use jumper cables to hook your starter directly to the battery and see if it spins. It's easier and safer to do this with the starter removed.

Check with a multimeter or test light where power is getting and where it isn't. I would start by checking all your connections are tight and not corroded, then trace your wiring from there.

I don't know if it would be the same on an EX but I have had vehicles that the starter would only work when cold. Once it got warm "from being mounted to a running engine" it would not run over again until it cooled down. Try just rebuilding the starter. The kits are cheap enough and its pretty simple to do.

I don't know if it would be the same on an EX but I have had vehicles that the starter would only work when cold. Once it got warm "from being mounted to a running engine" it would not run over again until it cooled down. Try just rebuilding the starter. The kits are cheap enough and its pretty simple to do.

This is true... I had a Mustang with this issue. Starter just got tired and when it was hot from engine heat it would be very weak. Electric motors by nature lose efficiency when they get hot, and if the starter has worn out brushes/springs and age-weakened magnets it will be worse when warm.

sry it took so long for an update. an thanks for the suggestions. in the end it was the starter, an after getting that fixed its running like nothing had ever happed. thanks again for your input.

Back