Trying to get it right- | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to get it right-

My fabbing skills suck-I know this.
I feel my truck doesn't even deserve to be on these pages, where do I start?

here is the dirty ol thing as it sits now-I'm going in too attempt to address the issues.
Here is the list

1) leaking valve cover gasket---DONE!
2)oil leaking from fuel pressure guage
3) coilpack bracket needs modding---DONE!
4)intake tube needs fabbed--DONE!
5)throttle bracket fabrication--DONE!
6)wiring clean up--DONE
7) relocate egr stuff-extend wiring to solenoid and dpfe--DONE!
8) fix fuel lines-I don't need them running dual feed-DONE!
9) check lifters-rockers-retorque head nuts--DONE!
10) accessory wiring clean up --DONE!
11) powdercoat everything I can ---ongoing process

Now-this thing has been running fine yes-but if you looked under the hood you might wonder why. Let's see if I can't fix that-or at least improve a bit-

Attachments

• Dirty motor.jpg
    Dirty motor.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 796

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the EGR doesn't have mandrel bends on it, so I don't think it's going to flow well enough? ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

OK
I need a 6 -AN and 8-AN female fuel fitting-the part that slides onto the spring clip fitting with the o rings-I'd call it the female end.

Or
an alternative fuel line setup-

I can find russell 640880 and 640880,Which are the male ends- I need the other ends--lol

Ideas?

Serious guys--
Does anyone have a clue as to the best way to get fuel lines swapped-the doggone fitting make this kin of confusing-
All I really need is to replace from the fitting by the control arm up to my rails-but the dang spring connector is throwing me for a curve--

If I was to cut the hard line and flare it-and use a flex line between the flares-is this doable?

I haven't looked at the OE lines much, is there a short pair which go from the frame lines to the engine?

I haven't looked at the OE lines much, is there a short pair which go from the frame lines to the engine?

Yes-
They will "work" but I don't like the routing-
since they are mostly rigid-this routing sucks--

pic 1 stock fuel lines-
pic 2 male ends (regulator connection-return on left-supply to block on right)
pic 3 female ends-at frame connection---the male frame connectors look just like pic 2

Attachments

• stock explorer fuel lines.jpg
    stock explorer fuel lines.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 266
  • stock male ends.jpg
    stock male ends.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 268
  • stock female ends.jpg
    stock female ends.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 266

continued from above
these are some lines I swiped at the junk yard-from a tempo-and a focus I think

the size is good-but the female end on every one is a plastic clippy type--

Attachments

• junk fuel lines.jpg
    junk fuel lines.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 275
  • junk fuel line female.jpg
    junk fuel line female.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 269

Now--with -AN fittings and braided hose I can work around the spring connectors at the regulator and fuel block just fine-but how in the heck do I connect to the frame connector-
If I swap in complete lines-I am still faced with the same size and type connections at the fuel pump-even the fuel filter--

What I need are 1 each of the female connectors-this would allow me to make flexible fuel lines--

Well after talking with Don last night, we came up with a brain fart--

Here are the Aeromotive fittings--i was using the stock lines to feed these fittings-the left is supply, and the right one is return. The return was threaded right into the regulator-

It would seem I could just clip these into the frame connections, and run new lines with threaded ends---which is good news-

The bad news is I will need to remove the upper intake to gain access to the fuel rail fittings-I need to change from 180 degree connectors to 90 degree connectors. Good times--

Attachments

• aeromotive ends--.jpg
    aeromotive ends--.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 264

Well after talking with Don last night, we came up with a brain fart--

Here are the Aeromotive fittings--i was using the stock lines to feed these fittings-the left is supply, and the right one is return. The return was threaded right into the regulator-

It would seem I could just clip these into the frame connections, and run new lines with threaded ends---which is good news-

The bad news is I will need to remove the upper intake to gain access to the fuel rail fittings-I need to change from 180 degree connectors to 90 degree connectors. Good times--

That sucks, but at least you figured it out.

One other thought, knowing that you want it drivable soon I didn't ask last night. Can you leave those in place and buy other adapters to build the transition lines with?

There must be a few choices for adapters to connect to the OE fittings of the tank or frame lines. Is another adapter a better choice for one or more of those four ends you are connecting?

JT I make my own fuel lines using nylon hose and Factory Ford ends I cut off vehicles at the junk yard.

Its tricky but once you get it down its very useful.

You need a camping stove or gas stove, electric just wont cut it.
You boil water HOT HOT HOT, soak the nylon hose in it for a bit, then press it over all 3 flares of your metal fitting...it can be a PITA to get it over all 3 flares, unless you get the hose hot enough and have the fitting in a vice ready to go (this is why I do camping stove so its in the garage)

This allows you to make any fuel line you need using the factory pressure fittings. I have a jar full of the metal fittings male and female from the junk yard....

One other thought, knowing that you want it drivable soon I didn't ask last night. Can you leave those in place and buy other adapters to build the transition lines with?

There must be a few choices for adapters to connect to the OE fittings of the tank or frame lines. Is another adapter a better choice for one or more of those four ends you are connecting?

So far-these are the only adapters to the frame rail connectors I can find-meaning I have looked through the places like Jeg's-summit, and ebay-

the only ones I can find online are these same units which came with the aeromotive fuel delivery system,and it was for Mustang applications--:confused: :confused:

The more I think about this the more I like it-I can run 2 supply lines from the frame to the firewall-(instead of up front then back) and one return line-hidden under the upper intake to firewall to join the supply's routing back to the frame--

<<-----------screeches to halt--

hold up--what? 3 flares?

how do I do this to the explorer lines? care to school me a bit?

JT I make my own fuel lines using nylon hose and Factory Ford ends I cut off vehicles at the junk yard.

Its tricky but once you get it down its very useful.

You need a camping stove or gas stove, electric just wont cut it.
You boil water HOT HOT HOT, soak the nylon hose in it for a bit, then press it over all 3 flares of your metal fitting...it can be a PITA to get it over all 3 flares, unless you get the hose hot enough and have the fitting in a vice ready to go (this is why I do camping stove so its in the garage)

This allows you to make any fuel line you need using the factory pressure fittings. I have a jar full of the metal fittings male and female from the junk yard....

I see Jon, I was trying to see how you could get a main line adapter that only had one outlet. You are thinking of using it for a fuel block, to feed the rear of the rails.

Good hard work there Jamie. I have worked with the OEM plastic lines before also. I installed an 887 GT engine into my old 85 Crown Vic. The Crown Vic had a carburetor(VV crap) with a return line on the block fuel pump. I installed factory connectors cut from fuel injected cars onto the frame lines(which had rubber hose and clamps).

Those lines are hell to install to the fittings while on the car. Removed from the car so that you can get fully to them it's just very hard.

If you can get new nylon lines which are the right size, then that can be a great option. I wouldn't do those for high performance or best looks under the hood. Jon you shouldn't do that unless you had a time crunch and fast access to those lines.

Jamie, what size was the nylon line as you bought it for the fittings? I wonder of those connector fittings can be had any larger. I need to plumb lines for my onboard air compressor, and nylon lines are on my list of best choices.

Ok, here is the list-
just to make the fuel lines look like they will work, instead of just working and looking ugly-

1) 3x -8 AN Y- block fitting ( to rid myself of the T)
2) -8 AN swivel coupler ( to couple the y to the "t" fitting with female fuel line fitting )
3) -8 AN cap ( to cap off spare "t" fitting)
4) -8 AN 45 degree swivel hose end qty 2 (supply connection at frame)
5) -6 AN union (regulator connection for return line)
6)-6 AN 45 degree swivel hose end ( return connection at frame)
7)-6 AN 90 degree swivel hose end (return connection at regulator union)
8) 3' -6 AN braided hose
9) 6' -8 AN braided hose

jeg's = $168.XX
summit= $153.XX

Did you find the "Y" blocks for about $24 each, that's what I noticed recently? They had other versions that were closer to $60 each. I just wanted two for trans cooler lines(PTF) ends.

Did you find the "Y" blocks for about $24 each, that's what I noticed recently? They had other versions that were closer to $60 each. I just wanted two for trans cooler lines(PTF) ends.

They do have cheaper y blocks-however by the time you put 3 -8 an unions in them it adds 30.00 more---

so, I am opting for a purple colored tripple "AN" fitting Y-block

It is 36 bux-

Attachments

• y fitting.jpg
    y fitting.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 243

That's very nice for fuel lines, good choice.

Back